Why does my system sound so shrill and distorted?

My system has been sounding very shrill and in some situations it will have a little distortion in the higher dynamic range with vocals and horns. I have used the feickert protractor to align my cartridge and have tried all three of the different geometries with not much change. Any ideas?

My set up,

Wilson Benesch Full Circle turntable with ACT TWO tonearm 9gm effective mass

Grado Reference Platinum cartridge 20cu compliance, I have a Sound Smith Carmen on the way.

Grado PH-1 Phono pre, Musical Fidelity M1 phono pre on the way

Manley Stingray II, pretty much always run in triode mode

Sonus Faber Liuto Monitors

cables are all Cardas Quadlink's

Thanks,
Thomas
ohnofiasco
Can't say for certain but those are classic symptoms of stylus wear and/or damage and/or dirt deposits. Inspect under a magnifying glass carefully. Try cleaning stylus if not already. See if new cart on the way works better.
What do you have your equipment sitting on i.e rack? The differences there are very large.
Many of my analog concerns, including shrillness, disappeared when I put my turntable on a sandbox. So, I agree with headsnappin on the importance of the rack.

Do you have the stand that appears to be optional for your turntable?
I think I would look at cartridge set up first. If you know it is spot-on, then consider other areas, as already advised. What method do you use to achieve overhang and alignment?

Best of luck,
Dan