Clearaudio innovation wood or SME 20/3

Looking for my last table. I will be using my SME V arm and Lyra Kleos cartridge. Rest of my system is posted. Have heard both these tables at shows and was impressed with both.
It has to be set it and forget it. And support (if needed) is as important as sonics to me. Any one have any input on sound comparisons of these two tables? Thanks for any help.
tom_hankins
Bill,

You can email me at [email protected] about the TW tables. I've heard the Raven, AC-1 and Black Night. I'd rather not take the focus off of the original post of this thread.

Peter
Tom,

I agree with Peterayer that, apart from general impression, it is almost impossible to reasonably characterize the sound of tables, much less how they will sound in any give system (which includes the listening room) and how the owner will receive the sound.

Because it is pretty much impossible to actually try different table/arm combinations in one's system before making a purchase, table purchase is a bit of a gamble.

My own comments, which will follow, like that of Peter, should be considered only rough impressions.

Certain tables just sound more lively and punchy, while others sound more composed and dark (quiet). Which is better depends on system and preference. The SME tables are in the composed and darker camp. If one does not need the table/arm to inject some liveliness into the sound, this is a good choice. I own a Basis Debut table which is very much in this camp (does a good job of dampening vibration imparted by the cartridge in the record itself and the tonearm). To me, these kind of tables sound less hashy and rough. But, in a system that is already somewhat dynamically dull (a lot of systems are), such tables can sound overdampened and dull.

The Clearaudio tables I've heard seem to be a bit more in the lively camp, but, not excessively so. I have heard terrific systems built around their tables.

I don't know what you are looking for in a table, but, I will say that I consider the Michell to be in the lively camp. If you liked that sound, but want just a little bit "more" (e.g., weight in the bass) then the Clearaudio table is probably a better choice. If you want a bigger change, then go with the SME.

By the way, I've heard the Carmel speaker and was really impressed with what I heard. In many respects it is the diametric opposite of the kind of design that I normally prefer, but it does so much right (instrumental tone and harmonic structure, clarity, detail). It is a "modern" sounding speaker, which means it does lean toward the leaner and "drier" side of the spectrum, but avoids much of the unmusically analytical sound of much of its competition.

If I were making making the choice you have to make (given my own taste and what I know of your speaker system), I might lean more toward the SME, but, really either would work well and would be a great choice. I would say the same about a lot of the other recommendations made above--I love my Basis table, I think the Sota is a great table for the money.
I am leaning towards the SME. My next cartridge will be the Titan i. I think (going by Larryi's description) my cartridge, table, and speakers fall into the lively camp. While everything else is leaning the other way. I've got to the point with this system that the Carmels are producing (for my tastes) the perfect blend of resolution and speed with lots of meat on the bones. My biggest fear is to go to far over in either direction from what I am hearing now.
I want a neutral table that is super quiet, keeps as close to perfect speed control as possible, and built to last as long as I do.
Tom, that last sentence describes my SME 30/12 quite well. Despite what many have said and written about the SME sound, I find the tables very neutral. In my limited experience, both my SME 10 and 30/12 allow me to hear differences in recording qualities very easily. I could also clearly hear the differences between the V and V-12 arms and Air Tight PC-1 and Supreme cartridges.

The SME table is a very solid, neutral platform for the arm/cartridge that will last a lifetime. Though I haven't heard the 20/3 specifically, I'm sure it will not "go too far over in either direction from what I am hearing now" in your words.

I know a guy who has an SME 30 with V arm and Titan i cartridge. He's had the table/arm for 17 years. He says it is only bested by his other table - a 30/12 with V-12 arm and Lyra Olympus cartridge.