Duped again

After several disappointing re-issue purchases I swore never again. But I was taken in again. This time, the re-issue of The Wall."You've never heard The Wall like this in any format" "Stunning", " Blows the CD away" read the pre-release reviews....Nuts... My 1979 original copy eats this re-issue for lunch and it's 32 years old. The differences in the mid and upper ranges are not subtle, it's downright glaring. The low end is there but much tighter on the original.

Perhaps I didn't do enough research beforehand, but is there something I should look for before I even consider another re-issue such as who's the engineer? The plant doing the pressing etc? Or are vinyl lovers just being taken advantage of?
mjm1124
Hi Elizabeth. You described it perfectly....searching for the "HOLY GRAIL" is so much of an obsession with all of us music enthusiests and collectors. Does not make any sense really, but why then do we buy $2000 power cords, $70 fuses, and $20,000 CD players?? We are a nutty, obsessed bunch is all I can say, and that's part of the fun. Why else would we spend so much time, energy, not to mention money in pursuit of that PERFECT SOUND....even though we already own $200,000 systems? Because we believe that squeezing another 1/10th of a percentage point of performance is worth the cost of a body part...or our first born. Ha Ha Ha!

By the way, which release of "The Wall" is the best sounding anyhow? I own 3 different ones myself. Be interesting to hear what others think is the superior version.
Isn't the "Holy Grail" or "Absolute Sound" a big part of what drives this passion or hobby? Our love for music and the desire to reach "eargasm" is a major part of it, or at least for me. But back to the thread, Mjm1124, thanks for sharing your opinion. I had thought of buying the new copy but I already have the MFSL LP and CD so I think I will take a pass. Thanks for helping save some money.
I'm a PF fan and have never bought one of these reissues. I have heard them, which only reinforced my belief that original releases are better.
Never "fell" for the Wall reissues, but, I gotta agree with actuserus about Mothership. Beautiful presentation and boxing, even my non audiophile friends were impressed. But, I was very disappointed in the sound. Mostly lifeless. Songs from Led Zep 1 simply can't work when lifeless.
I do purchase re-issues of certain classic rock and early jazz albums. The classic rock because my originals have become worn or noisy, the jazz because I didnt listen in my early years and have now developed a liking. Also, is it cheaper to buy a great copy of something you know and like, or to buy a copy of something you havent heard and find that you dont care for it. The first will be played many times, the latter, maybe once. I'd rather spend $30 on something I know I will enjoy, than $10 on a guess. But that's just me. God knows I have bought plenty of albums that I only listened to once.