Dynavector XV-1S ---is it overkill for my system?

I've been enjoying my VPI Classic 1 w/ Dynavector 17D3 cartridge for a couple of years now, but I've got the upgrade bug and I'm ready to make the leap up to a higher performing cart. The Dynavector XV-1S is on my short list, but what do you guys think, is it overkill for my system?
Here are the rest of my components: Heed Quasar phono pre, VTL 2.5 preamp, McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe amp, Paradigm Studio 100 v.2 speakers, Cardas Golden Reference and Gabriel Gold Revelation interconnects and Wireworld Equinox speaker cables.
will_herrera
Interesting to read this, as I posted a very similar question regarding the XV-1s a month or so ago. Likewise, I received very similar suggestions regarding improving the tonearm and/or phono pre first. Now having had the XV-1s for a while, I can appreciate the logic of this upgrade advice. Example: I have two JMW9 Signature arms for my Scoutmaster - XV-1s mounted on one, my older Blackbird on the other. A/B-ing via my current EAR 834p deluxe phono pre, I can't say the XV-1s provides that much more than the Blackbird. In fact, I prefer many of the Blackbird's characteristics in this scenario. However, change out the EAR for a Herron VTPH-2 I currently have on audition, and the XV-1s is in another league. Blackbird's sounding great too, but its the flexibility of the Herron which helps bring out the potential of the XV-1s. FWIW ~
I think you are confused a little. The cartridge you have is more than enough, but your speakers, power amp, Cardas cable and possibly speaker cables scream to be upgraded. After it's done, upgrade step by step your entire front end and then you will have hi-fi not mid-fi.
Sorry, but I would say that yes, the XV-1S is absolutely overkill for your system. Enjoy your system as it is now, it looks fairly well balanced. If you feel the need to upgrade, spend the money more evenly and upgrade more units.
Simply putting a world class cartridge in a nice budget system will make no more sense that putting a world class phono stage (Aesthetix Io) in a nice budget system. Balance is the key to any system.
Clearly the contrarian here, I continue to say: the Classic table and tonearm are competent units and you will hear an improvement with the XV-1s. Are there better tonearms than the Classic 1? Well, yes. But it is certainly competent. As is the turntable. If you upgrade the table or preamp, you'll not outgrow the XV-1s and, in the interim, you'll have better results than the 17D,

And I agree that if you improve the phonostage, you'll hear more of what the XV-1s delivers. (I'm assuming your current phonostage, which I don't know, is at least able to deliver the gain needed by the XV-1s.) If you later upgrade to one of the top tonearms, you'll hear even more of what the XV-1s can deliver.

Bottom line, I think the Classic 1 turntable is certainly a good enough table and arm combination to allow the XV-1s to perform a up to a fair degree of its capabilities. I've heard it in systems with less capable arms than the Classic 1.
Great responses everybody, I really appreciate all the input! I'm leaning toward agreeing with those who feel that the XV-1S would indeed be overkill in my system. The best approach seems to be to upgrade in a smaller increment, and to do it more evenly throughout the system---for example, I could upgrade both the phono pre and the cartridge at the same time, with the same amount of money. Now I'm thinking about a Dynavector XX-2 MKII with a better phono preamp, but that's the start of a whole other thread---any phono preamp suggestions? Solid state or tube? Believe me, in the last few weeks I've been researching phono preamps like crazy, and very few seem ideal to me, when I factor in features (gain, loading), sonic characteristics, price, availability, you name it. For example, I love the idea of getting a tube phono pre, but I'm afraid of having a higher noise floor, and losing the low frequency extension and "slam" I need when I listen to Funk, for example.