Audio Technica AT150MLX finally gets some respect

I've been at this audiophile stuff for over 40 years. At this point I'm pretty confident of being able to ignore preconceived notions and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a component in my system. Still, once in awhile it's nice to get some validation--a sanity check.

I've been using an Audio Technica AT150MLX MM cartridge for over 3 years. Since getting it I have improved the downstream components and cabling a few times, and each improvement, rather than revealing limitations of the cartridge, has shown it to have a great tonal balance, high resolution at its price point, excellent trackability, low level detail retrieval and excellent dynamics.

Still, when I opened my January 2012 issue of The Abso!ute Sound, I was pleasantly shocked to see that the $449 list AT150MLX had been named Cartridge of the Year! Given that the $5000 Benz LP-MSR and $13,000 Clearaudio Goldfinger were also mentioned on that page, it wasn't that the AT150MLX won in absolute terms, but for performance value.

It's as I suspected from my first listen. If you want to know where the threshold into a high end cartridge is, it's the AT150MLX. I got mine in 2008 when the dollar was strong and these things were going for $250. But even at the currently available $325 they are pretty unbeatable.

Back in the Spring of 2008 I asked the A-goners about what cartridge to move up to from the DL-160. I was considering the AT OC-9 or the Denon 301 II, but a number of A-goners made a compelling case for the AT150MLX. I took them at their word and have never regretted it.

If you want the best out of this cart, you *must* give it a capacitive load between 100 and 200 pF. In fact, my highly adjustable Jolida JD-9A phono stage indicates that the real sweet spot is right around 150 pF.

Anyway, thanks A-goners, and it's also nice to know that when the stylus wears down, I can just send for a replacement plug-in stylus $225.
johnnyb53
Hi. I'm the original poster, and Almarg explained it well. I have had this cartridge for four years and have used three phono stages with it--the phono stage in a pawnshop Amber 17, which had a series of capacitance DIP switches, a Cambridge 640P which has a fixed capacitance of zero, and my phono stage for nearly the last two years, a Jolida JD9A. The Jolida is very configurable, with MM capacitance settings of 0, 47, 100, and on up from there. My turntable's built-in phono cable has a capacitance of 100 pF. I think it's around 40 inches long.

Audio Technica's recommended total capacitive load for the AT150MLX is "between 100 and 200 pF." With both the Amber and Jolida phono stages I was able to experiment with various capacitances, and the most musical, relaxed sound definitely came in between 100 and 200 pF. The Jolida enabled me to try it at 147 pF and I liked that sound the best. Settings above 200 pF tended to sound bright and strident. You can also find testimony from other AT150MLX owners who warn that the AT150MLX can turn bright and sterile if the capacitance gets much above 200 pF total.

In fact, when I was in the market for a phono stage 2 yrs ago, I happened across an excellent deal for a demo Musical Surroundings Phonomena II for around $389. It was very tempting, but the P II's minimum capacitive input setting is 200 pF, which--combined with my turntable cable--would have created a total load of 300 pF. So I had to pass. The good news is that I really like the Jolida and it has so many gain, resistance, and capacitance settings that I'll probably be able to use it with any cartridge that strikes my fancy.

But these days I have even more reason to stick with my AT150MLX. Given that it's four years old and has at least 1,000 hours on it, I called my local LP-knowledgeable stereo store about whether I'm probably due for a stylus replacement or cartridge upgrade. He told me that the MicroLine stylus (which is what the "ML" stands for in AT150MLX) tends to last 4-5 times as long as a conventional elliptical stylus, and that mine should be good for another 3,000 hrs or so. Even though his store doesn't sell AT carts, he was very complimentary of this one and it reminds him fondly of the AT-sourced Signet cartridges from around 20 yrs ago. So I'm sticking with it. In fact, I recently changed my downstream electronics to a tube-based line stage and a transconductance MOSFET power amp, and my analog rig sounds better than ever.

In other words, any downstream changes I make serve to point up what a wonderfully musical, responsive, and great-tracking cartridge the AT150MLX is. It's ridiculously good for the money.
Johnny,

It's nice to hear an audiophile who is actually happy with what he's got! More power to you.

-Bob
Almarg, I appreciate your explanation. It helps.

I am running a KABUSA Pro S40 which is an Ortofon cartridge that fits into the arm without a headshell. I like it alot especially since I played with the capacitive load switch on the Jolida.

Getting that right added detail and helped to separate the instruments on good recordings.

However, I am getting the itch especially after reading this thread, which is very complimentary to the AT150MLX.

Trouble is it is a $450 cartridge to replace the $360 Ortofon (which replaced a Denon 103R).

Not sure what exactly what I would hear above and beyond the Ortofon with the AT150. Anyone have an opinion on that?

For what it is worth, I think that the KAB modified Ortofon is more alive and organic in my system compared to the Denon which seemed more detailed but not necessarily in a good way.
12-11-12: Dsper
...I am running a KABUSA Pro S40 which is an Ortofon cartridge that fits into the arm without a headshell. I like it alot especially since I played with the capacitive load switch on the Jolida.

Getting that right added detail and helped to separate the instruments on good recordings.

However, I am getting the itch especially after reading this thread, which is very complimentary to the AT150MLX.

Trouble is it is a $450 cartridge to replace the $360 Ortofon (which replaced a Denon 103R).

Not sure what exactly what I would hear above and beyond the Ortofon with the AT150. Anyone have an opinion on that?

If you know where to shop, you can get an AT150MLX for just under $325. To get its best, however, it's wise to get LPGear's ZuPreme Headshell, which adds another $55 to the equation but brings azimuth adjustability to the table.

I also use a Technics SL1210M5G with the KAB fluid damper. I've also added a few other things to control resonance and vibration. Just because I wax all poetic about the AT150MLX doesn't mean it's a better choice than what you have. The KAB Ortofon has the advantage of factory-perfect alignment and balance. It eliminates a set of connections as it plugs directly into the tonearm. There should be fewer cart-headshell resonance problems as there is no headshell.

I bought my AT150MLX in 2008 when the dollar was strong internationally. I got nice fur felt fedora hats from Australia for 67 cents on the dollar and I got my AT150MLX for $259 from LPGear. J&R had them for $250 and free shipping. For me it was the low cost alternative to the KAB/Ortofon setup that you have.
Hi Jonnyb53,

I have the AT150MLX on my turntable (Technics 1210M5G) as well. And I agree 100 percent with your review. It's definitely a great cartridge, and you would have to spend a lot more to get arguably better sound.