VPI Classic 1 use of the cork mat

I am trying the cork mat and I am not using the small plastic inner ring that is used when not using the mat. Is this correct? Also I have a Herbie mat that I haven't tried, has anybody given it try? What were your impressions
frano
Late last night I tried the cork and the Herbie's. The cork sounded a bit different but not much. The Herbie's was a different sound altogether. The Herbie's seemed to have a very black background, smoother but not quite as quick or dynamic. Of course then I must change the counter weight due to the change in height. The cork has a glue on it's bottom side which I thought might really stick on the platter after I lifted it off, so that's why I was asking about it before I did it. Well almost all the glue stayed on the platter, so I spent an hour cleaning it off. Maybe VPI should mention that.
Lighter fluid is a great cleaner for removing glue residue..and it quickly evaporates leaving nothing behind. The hardest thing about it is actually buying lighter fluid. Few people smoke now.