Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Thuchan,
I don't know what happened to the Wave Kinetics NVS thread. I enjoyed that thread because with such a new design, there is very little information in the popular press, so forums like these can be very helpful.

I started this thread because that NVS thread was going off topic and becoming a discussion about speed stability and different drive types. I wanted it to go back to its original focus. And yes, this thread is wonderful and I've learned a lot about the topic of speed, how to maintain it and how it effects the sound.

Threads have a way of disappearing and it is not always by accident. I have no information. Perhaps Jtinn knows something.
Sometimes threads do accidentally get 'wiped' by an administrator.
It's happened to me twice and when I contacted A'Gon ........they retrieved them.
Have you tried that?
Dear Thuchan, Syntax' comment on "sound quality not related to speed accuracy" points to the fact that the sound quality per se is not in the speed accuracy.
Speed accuracy in a turntable is an undisputed conditio sine qua non.
If a turntable isn't able to hold the 33 1/3 (and the other speeds required..) it isn't worth discussing about sound quality at all.
In the first shoot out in San Antonio between a serious DD and a serious thread drive turntable, we all 3 - Unoear, Syntax and me - heard that there are sonic qualities which go way beyond speed accuracy-related phenomenons.
Speed accuracy is a basic request for any serious turntable.
Here it starts off - it certainly doesn't end here, it is rather the beginning.
Deartoenarm,
agree with your preconditions being set. Unfortunately the reality regarding some running tables looks sometimes different due to weak motors, belts changing the consistency, no built in or used precison control instruments etc. The new TechDas AirForce seems to offer some nice features. On the other hand I would have wished a two sided belt driven system.

best @ fun only
Dear Thuchan, Our German friends are obviously searching for the new or added preconditions which are yet not known.
If they were known and technicaly solvable then probable
there would be no or less problems with those damn TT's.

Regards,