Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Thanks to Henry pointing out the clickable links, I was able to see the photos of the Jico mats. I definitely do not like the fact that the mat hangs over the edges of the platter. Most all LPs have a "lip" around their circumference. Optimally this lip should hang out in space over the edges of the circumference of the platter or platter mat, so the playing surface can be in contact with the platter or platter mat. Having this lip on the LP in contact with the mat would tend to lift the whole playing surface of the LP by a fraction of a millimeter or so off the mat. Just my opinion, but I do not care for that characteristic. I would try to trim the mat so to avoid that issue.
Did you measure a "lowered sound floor", or is that a subjective judgement based on listening to LPs?

The latter, Lewm. It was the proverbial, "I could hear things (on very familiar records) I never heard before" bit. I did buy a mechanic's stethoscope. I placed the probe on the spindle shaft and the bottom of the motor: I didn't hear anything. Suspecting that the scope is not sensitive enough, I put it on a DD table I use to clean records: a hum could easily be heard. Of course, this does not get me very far, since I didn't probe the old bearing or the redline.

Your suspicions re a heavier weight Redline oil are duly noted. I might test that out in the near future, either a heavier weight Redline or a lighter weight RP.

The bearing is accessed from below; you'll need to flip your table upside down. Then unscrew the giant brass screw; it may be secured with some kind of cement that you'll need to remove first.

Your problem with your tt 101 is puzzling. I recall you saying that you could hear your platter scraping. Did you fix that? There are two ways to adjust platter height: the bearing screw at the bottom of the table or shims between the motor and the chassis (there should be 2 of them on each of the 3 screws that secure the motor. Note that with the screw, there is a range that yields the correct motor height(s). Outside that range, one gets one of three things: scraping platter, errant rotation, or complete locking. The easiest way I've found to find the right height is to take black bottom cover off and place your table inbetween two suitably spaced endtables. This way you can access the screw from below while the table is running. Just make small turns to the screw (clockwise--as seen from below--to raise platter). I know you have a stethoscope: use it to hear whether the platter is scraping.

I take Lew's point about the Jico mat overhanging the platter's raised metal edge.....
On the other hand, with the original Victor Pigskin mat which doesn't overhang......the vinyl record's outer edge is then resting on the metal edge whilst the rest of the disc is resting on suede....👀
With the Jico mats, the whole record is in contact with the leather...😎
Which is better I prefer to be determined by listening...rather than theoretical speculation....😏
There is much we simply cannot scientifically yet explain in the complex chain known as 'vinyl'....😡
Hey Don,
See my response to Lew about the overhanging mat....
If you are already able to post a 'clickable' Link using the 'markup tags'
then use the last one to create your own title....
Press the 'Preview first' button before 'submitting' to ensure that it works correctly.
You may have to practice a little....😜
Good luck..
In relation to any of the mats discussed I must add a caveat......
I have only used them with a heavy record weight which I think is essential.
I haven't even bothered doing any serious listening without one...so I could be found guilty of 'unscientific' or even 'nonobjective' evaluation......😫