Is 60dB gain enough for Kleos?

At age 52, after years of technological philandering, I am once again courting my old vinyl flame. I just bought a VPI Classic 3 because it looks like it was built in the fifties, like me. Now I am obsessing over the selection of cartridge and phono-amp. Every man needs his irrational, unsubstantiated religious beliefs, and mine include vacuum tubes (very fifties-ish) and a transformerless signal path.

So let's say that for the moment I am enamored with the Fosgate Signature phono-amp, which having a 60dB gain without any input transformer. Now I have read that this works best with a high-output MC in the 0.8 to 1.0 mV range.

Here's the rub ... I am very intrigued by the Lyra Kleos, my fascination with which is due in no small part to the musings in these pages of J Carr himself. Alas, the Kleos has an output of only 0.5 mV. So I seek the advice of those who might have pertinent experience!

Dave
david_pully
HI Dave - the phono stage should be fine, BUT - I have tried both the Delos and Kleos in my JMW arm ( SuperScoutmaster) and have not been impressed with either. I have tried the same cartridges in gimbled tonearms and they are excellent, so I have to attribute my results with some sort of incompatibility with a unipivot ( or this particular unipivot) arm. I do know what I am doing with setup and have all the requisite tools to check and recheck the setup. Work with a dealer that offers you some recourse in case you do not care for the results on your Classic, which is an excellent table, by the way.
FWIW, my Delos and before it a Helikon sounded great in three different unipivots so I'm not sure it's a general unipivot thing.
Jwpstayman, just for the record, what cartridge have you favored on your JMW arm? My target investment is $2k to $3k. My preference, if forced to choose, is speed and dynamics over lushness, although having everything without compromise is always best! :)
Jwpstayman & David..., do you know the compliance ratings of the Delos and Kleos??

I own a VPI Classic 1 (w/Classic 3 arm). I've had mixed results with various carties. Finally got a SS VPI Zephyr. It works fine.

Also Jwp..., what did you find deficient with the Delos and Kleos?
Bifwynne, like you, I ended up with and am very happy with the Soundsmith VPI Zephyr cartridge. Prior to the Lyra carts, I have been using a Benz Ruby 3 which I really liked but which finally wore out. The Zephyr has the best channel separation and is the least affected by surface noise of any cartridge that I have ever used and is a lot less expensive than the other cartridges as well. Instrument timber and tonality is on par with the very best also.