VPI Tonearm connector wire and record tracking

I have found that the bend in the connector wire from the tonearm to the junction box has a MAJOR influence on the trackability of the tonearm. it has tons to do with how the stylus tracks or SKATES across the record. If this BEND is not in an optimum position (that changes all the time as the tonearm tracks across the record), it will dramatically affect how the arm/stylus tracks the record especially on the inner grooves. I find myself bending this wire back towards the platter as it will bend away away from the platter in time. Has anyone else made this observation? Is their anywhere else this wire could have been located to have lass impact on tracking? It is my observation that the arm would sound much better if this wire were located someplace else.
tzh21y
I have both the 9 incher and the 10.5i, and haven't found the wire to negatively influence the sound on either arm. I supposed the best possible connection is no connection at all (bluetooth?), but I am very satisfied with the sound I get from my arms. ...just thinking about it, they are both Valhalla wired, and perhaps the copper wire would have an influence...something I can't comment upon.
I don't share your observation. Have you try floating your arm and then play around with the connector wire i.e. twisting and untwisting the wire to observe how much influence the wire actually has on the arm movement? I have no problem with the tracking of my JMW.
The manual for the 9" VPI tonearm states:

"VPI has a unique solution to anti-skating: the coiled wire of the JMW Memorial Tonearm acts as a spring and pushes the arm back without affecting the sound quality. You now have the option of installing a mechanical anti-skate for those that want it.

-Adjust the counterweight so there is no down force on the cartridge.

-Swing the tonearm toward the spindle and release it. The arm should swing out toward the outer edge of the turntable.

If you try adjusting the anti-skate with a groove less record, you will ruin the twist in the tonearm wire and void your warranty. Do this with the mechanical anti-skate if you want that much anti-skate.

If additional anti-skate is needed you can go to the mechanical anti-skate available from your dealer."

The new manual for the 10" and 12" adds this:

"As mentioned earlier, the arm wire applies the anti-skating force. The degree of force applied can be adjusted, to increase anti-skating force give the connector a counterclockwise twist, unwinding the wires natural twist. Likewise, to decrease the force, give the connector a clockwise twist, winding the wires natural twist. Remember, the Lemo connector can only be 'adjusted' in increments of whole turns. If it is not, its key will not line up with the groove in the receptacle.

If you try adjusting the anti-skate with a grooveless record you will ruin the twist in the wire and void your warrantee.

This is all you need for anti-skating."

So, the wire definitely will affect tracking. It is interesting that the manual for the 9" warns against using a grooveless record to adjust anti-skating, but never says anything about about twisting the wire to adjust anti-skating.

Furthermore, though the manuals basically say to do nothing, it says to twist the wire to adjust anti-skating and that's all you need, but VPI makes and sells a mechanical anti-skate device ($100). I have the mechanical device. It is a kludge, but it works for me better than adjusting the wire.
Like Strngreen, I own a Classic 3 JMW 10.5i arm. Mike at VPI has mentioned on several occassions that VPI doesn't really buy in to the mechanical AS device. As far as the tone arm wire is concerned, I would put a very small twist on it when connecting the Lenco connector to the connection block. Less is more.

In my particular case, my cartridge is a VPI Zephyr. Peter Ledermann believe in the mechanical AS device; Mike says VPI doesn't. However, Mike did advise me that as a "rough justice" test, if you see the cantilever assembly deflecting, you may need the AS mechanical device.

The OP makes the following statement about the tone arm wire:

"If this BEND is not in an optimum position (that changes all the time as the tonearm tracks across the record), it will dramatically affect how the arm/stylus tracks the record especially on the inner grooves. I find myself bending this wire back towards the platter as it will bend away away from the platter in time."

I have the following responses: First, there is no such thing as an "optimal position" for AS. The amount of AS force on a record and stylus varies all the time. I am not aware of any device that compensates for these variations. Also, as the VPI manual states, VPI does not believe that AS forces dramatically affect the sound of vinyl pkayback. Second, I am concerned that if you keep fiddling with the tone arm wire, either one or both of two things will happen: (1) you will damage the tone arm wire; and/or (2) you will go blind.

OK, seriously, I have a couple of suggestions. Double check the alignment, VTF, VTA and azimuth of your set up.

It is possible that if your cartridge/stylus combo is not compatible with the JMW arm, you may have trackability problems. Pay particular attention to VTF and azimuth!

You don't mention the type of cartridge you are using. Does it match well to the effective mass of the arm?

Also, in my experience, I found that certain cartridges just don't do very well with the unstabilized azimuth configuration of a uni-pivot.

If after checking the set up, you still have a problem, call Mike at VPI. He is incredibly helpful.

Good luck.

I think the I am just realizing the limitations of my table. I am getting used to listening to a friends which does no such thing. It is an amazing tracking table with a Mission Mechanic tonearm. I have not used my new cartridge on my current table as I am worried about it not tracking properly. Maybe my stylus is getting worn. It was tacking decent but I am afraid to put the Lyra on this arm. I find it hard to believe that I am just wearing out styluses this quickly. I put the glider on this spring, it sounded great, still does, just does not track the inner grooves like it used to. I am getting sibilance and tracking error on the extreme inner grooves. Maybe I need a gimbal arm