Leave the turntable running?

Hello all, I am brand new to the world of vinyl - just bought a Rega RP1 and Brio-R on Friday. In the RP1 'Hints, Tips and Upgrades' sheet, it states:

'Leave the turntable running during a record playing session. Switch on before the session and only switch off after you have finished. This will increase the life of the motor and drive belt.'

Does this mean leaving the platter turning while 'flipping' and/or taking an LP on/off the table???

Thanks in advance for any advice/clarification!
jh2os
I thought everyone popped the record off to switch albums or sides. I turn it on when I start to play it and I turn it off when I shut the system down.
08-15-11: Stanwal
This sounds totally unnecessary to me and this is the first time I have ever heard of the idea.
Same here, on both counts. And it seems to me that during the process of lifting the record there could be an instant of time when part of the circumference of the hole of the stationary record would press against the rotating spindle, momentarily increasing the strain on the motor. And I would be concerned, also, that having a rotating platter momentarily sliding against a stationary record would not do the record surface any good.

In my case, btw, I use a record clamp, so I have no choice in the matter.

Regards,
-- Al
On and off to play and flip, no need to worry about the motor being turned on/off, risk damaging the record or fumbling with the clamp while the platter is turning; well designed motors don't need to be worried about in this regard. I really do think we overdo it a bit with our fear of equipment failure/wear-avoidance issues here folks.
I do leave my LP12 on while flipping but as a reminder if you do turn it off. Give the platter a spin to get it going when you turn it back on to save the belt.
My Rega P3-24 starts spinning at the beginning of a listening session, and gets shut off when I'm all done. LP's get flipped over and changed with the platter spinning.....easy and no problems. Enjoy your vinyl, and Happy Listening.