LP care

I've made the commitment to get back into vinyl, purchasing a VPI Classic 'table with Lyra Delos cartridge. routed through an ARC PH-5 to Ayre amplification and on to Vandy 5A's. Recognizing the importance of a quality RCM, I also bought a VPI 16.5, so all the basic elements for vinyl enjoyment are there. (Approximately one week until everything arrives and can be set up!)

With all that lengthy background, my question is: what are the most effective record cleaning fluids. I have to admit that I am getting high-centered over the range of choices: regular cleaning fluid, "deep" cleaning fluid, enzymatic cleaner, rinses, etc. etc. etc.

This is especially topical for me, as 80+% of the albums I will be playing have been in storage (and not always perfectly clean storage at that) for 2-3 decades. Plus other music I want to acquire is probably only going to be available used, so good cleaning is important for that, too.

Second question: I assume that once one has cleaned a record with a vacuum RCM, that it remains relatively clean and doesn't need RCM treatment for every listening; instead, it simply needs to be wiped with a brush to remove dust and static before playing (assuming nothing odd happens). True?

Sorry for the long question, but figure the more detail I give, the more useful input I'll get. I'm hoping to tap the expertise of those on this forum -- and please feel free to simply point me to existing material, either in the form of previous threads here or other on-line resources.

Thanks to all, and happy listening!
dawgfish
Well before I bought a Spin Clean I was visiting a friend who was cleaning LPs with a popular vacuum device...it sounded like a jet taking off next to my head and seemed like a messy pain in the butt. I wasn't listening to my LPs much back then (no excuse) so my interest in cleaning machines (or non mechanical cleaning techniques) was zero. Flash forward to recently and the Spin Clean...it works very well and has that zen-like quality of a manual hand tool thus imbuing the user with a sense of quiet peace, harmony, and an overall sense of well being resulting in the user possibly becoming a better person, or just another asshat with cleaner LPs.
I'll see your Spin Clean and raise you a DIY RCM that spins by hand. Cost me about $75. ;-) The fluids are what do the work, but nothing replaces vacuuming the crud off.

As to the other part of the OP's questions. I find that new LPs usually need but one good cleaning. Used LPs can take two, sometimes three cleanings. After that, assuming the vinyl is kept in quality sleeves, I MAY clean an LP again after a year or so. If the LP gets a lot of play I may clean it again after 6 months or so.

Anybody want a Perfection Steamer? I was a proponent of steam for a time. A 10 minute enzyme soak showed me that it wasn't getting things as clean as I had thought.

I use AIVS (dealer disclaimer) because it works very well for me.
The Spin Clean is hand operated and costs about $75. Fluid, the tight brushes, and elbow grease get 'er done. Also the act of drying the LPs pulls a lot of loosened stuff outta the groove...remember: Nature Abhors a Vacuum.
I use a 6L ultrasonic cleaner with about 1/2 oz of Disc Doctor cleaner added to the distilled water bath. The LP is (manually at this time) rotated slowly (1/8 intervals) for about five (5) minutes. I then vacuum the fluid off (VPI 16.5) and follow with an ultra pure water rinse. I will never willingly go back to cleaning with brushes and/or steam.

I will be automating the rotation of the LP with a low 1-2 rpm motor in the future.
I started with Disc Doctor Extra Strength Cleaner, and Distilled Water, Disc Doctor brushes, and clean baby clothes (super soft cotton) for small wiping of drips.

I found this method helped, but too often the rinsing and brushing didn't remove the DD cleaning fluid (which I was mistakenly using at full-strength).

I then graduated to a vacuum machine the VPI 16.5, which certainly makes possible a better rinsing away of the gunk and crud in the vinyl grooves.

I then diluted the DD cleaner with Aquafina water (a recommended cheap tweak here and an affordable replacement for ultra pure water). This allows for very generous rinsing, which is so important.

I then moved to Audio Intelligent enzymatic cleaner (at urging of audiogon forum commentators), and Audio Intelligent Archival record cleaning formula (much more watery and less sudsy than DD extra strength, even when diluted).

And of course one needs better inner sleeves for the record. I bought a boatload of MoFi Original Master sleeves, which are supposedly anti-static, and highly recommended. They are plastic (vinyl?) and with some rice paper-like paper to offer stiffness. That said, I feel that I would have preferred stiffer sleeves with paper outside and vinyl inside.

And, here I get controversial, I bought gruv-glide II (for anti-static, a real problem in my house) and apply a very very small portion via the two pads.

And then I label the inner sleeve with: AIVS Enzym / RC/ GG and date.

And no I haven't been to the office for weeks....