RCM recommendations

currently I use separate disk doctor brushes with Audio Intelligent enzyme and super cleaning fluids to scrub the LP's. I then run the LP through a Spin Clean Record Washer and dry the disks with multiple micro-fibre cloths.

I like the idea of doing the clean with a cleaner fluid then doing a distilled water rinse, then vacuum with the machine. What is the best way to go ?

Clearaudio, VPI or other ? Thank in advance.
128x128rockitman
Probably the best RCM was or is the Keith Monks RCM. Library of Congress had four of them at one time. Not sure if they are still around or not. Do remember they were very expensive and big and heavy. Most likely not for home use.
Sbrown,
Would I like a $2500 RCM better than a $600 RCM? I certainly would and should. I know I would also like a $300 stylus gauge that tells me the VTF to five decimal points better than a $70 one that only tells me only three decimal points (God forbid I used the Shure!). However, just as I don't think you need to get the VTF correct to the fifth decimal point to get fantastic sound out of your vinyl I also don't believe a $2500 RCM is necessary to get a record clean enough to have a superb sound as opposed to a $600 RCM. In fact, a lot of vinyl lovers don't even own a RCM and it doesn't stop them from enjoying their collections.

I think it's doing the OP a disservice to be putting down a $650 RCM (pricier than some of the decent tt/cart combos for beginners available on the market) when he's been cleaning his record without a vacuum pump at all.

I have no doubt your RCM is great.
Not to start a whole new debate thread here of which is better, but maybe some suggestions might be in order?

I own-use the 16.5, but never the Loricraft (yet). I've heard a bit of pro, and con about the Loricraft. I do understand it is a bit more complex machine that can have it's issues, and perhaps much of the con about it, was largely due to a lack of proper user set-up-maintainence.

I know that in the past, Doug Deacon who seems to know quite well, the ins, and outs of the Loricraft has offered much help, and tips to others about extracting its best performance.

I believe the same can be said about the VPI Machines as well, that one needs to examine, and insure the Vacuum Wand is properly adjusted for height set-up. It is adjustable, via Collar on the Vacuum Tower. There is also a bit of adjustment as to the angle of the Vacuum Slot in relation to the record.

I seen a recent thread on vinylengine which some claim the slot needs to be exactly perpendicular to the record's surface. I don't believe this is correct, that the Slot does need to be ever so slightly tilted to enhance efficient fluid pickup.

If this is uncertain to some as to which is true, it's nothing more than a simple email off to VPI to get the straight dope from the horse's mouth.

While it is probably true that the amount of physical contact that the wand creates upon a record could be detrimental versus a string feed type machine, I believe those detrimantal effects can be lessened with some fine tuning.

This characteristic of a change in sonics could also possibly be enhanced by dragging a Wand with flithy protective strips from a perviously cleaned record across the following record. Another claimed dislike, is the possibility of cross contamination of fluids, and/or rinses.

These issues I feel can be lessened with regular periodic cleaning of the wand, and as well, the use of at least another spare Vacuum Wand Assembly. The cost for at least one more additional Wand to dedicate for the final rinse is not that bad, I believe around $70.

I have heard of one person going to the greater length of having a dedicated Vacuum Wand for each step of a multi-step cleaning process.

In any case, virtually all will tell you the great importance of a final rinse step. I myself personally would not believe any cleaning product manufacturer's claims that thier cleaners come completely off a record, without leaving any traces of residues. Mark
I guess I'll throw my two cents in. I recently picked up an old used and abused VPI 17 rcm, the vacuum was weak, the wood rotted from leaks, etc. but all mechanical parts were functioning.

I was very suprised at the poor build quality and design of this old 17 especially for the price that was paid for it new. I hope many of the design issues have been addressed in the newer models. Examples are vacuum and fluid reservoir tanks had no tops to them and allowed liquid to be exposed to bare partical board, vacuum seal was cheap foam and was leaking badly. I was a bit disappointed, but with a bit of effort and some time I was able to remedy all of these issues and turn my old 17 into a great rcm.

It really works nicely to clean records, the fluid dispensing system is nice but I would say is not required, plus if you want to do an additional rinse with different fluid (ie distilled water) there is no easy way to do that other than with a spray bottle so all in all if I were to buy new I would go with a 16.5 over the 17 for the price difference. But I would also do further investigation on the build of the machine. Hope this helps.
Without stream your records are not as clean as they could be. If you don't have a Keith Monks machine, you are also not getting things as clean as the could be.