Pop heard when stylus dropped into lead-in groove

I'm not sure whether I recently developed this problem or if I just didn't pay it any mind before. However, now that it has entered my consciousness, it has become a constant source of angst. I have checked anti-skate, added damping fluid to the well (Aries II), cleaned the stylus. I'm at a loss. I have an Aesthetix Rhea and admittedly it is a high gain phono stage which has a tendency to accentuate pops and clicks. Is this phenomenon normal? Is it a possibly a sign of stylus wear? Once the music starts to play, there are no problems with tracking, distortion,etc. Could it be the blunting of the stylus is magnifying the impact of the stylus as it navigates the transition from the lead-in groove to the recorded portion of the record? Assurances welcome.
128x128stew3859
I usually mute the phono stage or preamp until the stylus is in the groove. But the damping fluid could have dried up or leaked from your arms cueing device allowing the arm to drop fast.
I'm not sure whether this is the same thing you're experiencing, but with just about every LP I've played in the last 40 or so years, there is a pop as the stylus glides from the uncut record surface into the groove. No way to avoid that, I don't think.
-Bob
It would seem counter-intuitive for there to NOT be a pop when the stylus hits the record, and when it drops into the lead-in groove. I always keep the volume control at a low setting until I hear the pop(s), and then I turn it up.

Regards,
-- Al
Ditto. In fact I keep my phono stage on mute because I don't want the transient pop/thump to be amplified in the phono stage circuitry.

BTW, I also notice that on some records, the first couple of rows of groves sound like the stylus is dragging its butt or something like that. But even in such cases, everything smooths out after the stylus tracks a couple of rows of grooves. I also double checked VTA, azimuth, alignment and VTF. Everything seems ok. Something to get used to I suppose??