Raking Angle

Do you all setup you analog systems so that the raking angle of the stylus is perpendicular to the record surface? I'm having a hard time achieving such an angle due to the design of my tonearm and cartridge and believe this may be the cause of some slight sibilance in the sound.
jwglista
I rake my cartridge down in the rear for best results. If you can do that it often give you less sibilance and better bottom end!This is called VTA.
I think you are referring to Stylus Rake Angle (SRA). Much has been written about this over the years and a 2 degree angle from vertical is usually recommended.

In looking at the linked illustration the angle labeled SRA would be 88 degrees. The top of the stylus would be leaning to the left.

With more advanced stylus types (shibata, ect.) the cut of the diamond determines the angle and just setting the arm up parallel to the top of the platter to start is the way to go.

Spend some time raising or lowering the arm (VTA) to get the proper setup.

SRA
Thanks for the input. I have tried in the past to get the stylus as close to perpendicular as possible, but the height of the cartridge along with the angle of the cantilever makes it nearly impossible to achieve this. I have increased the tracking force to the high end of the recommended range to help with this also, but still can't get there. I lowered the tail end of the tonearm as low as it can go; there reaches a point where the tail end is so low, that the lever used to raise the tonearm can not raise the stylus off of the record. I am considering creating a piece to extend the height of the platform that raises the tonearm so that I can lower the VTA more.