Schroder sq and the new talea

I heard there was to be a fun time of learning and comparing of these two arms at the rmaf. Since the talea is relatively new, it still has to stand the test of time with comparisons on other tables, other systems and the selective and subjective tastes of discerning audiophiles! There is to be a comparison in one of the rooms at the rmaf this year, which i wasnt able to make. I would be curious to hear some judicial, diplomatic, friendly talk about how they compared to each other in the same system and room. I currently own the origin live silver mk3 with a jan allaerts mc1bmk2 and am enjoying this combo but have become curious about the more popular "superarms" Hats off to both frank and joel.

I hope this thread draws more light rather than heat. If someone preferred one arm over the other it would be OK. With all the variables it doesnt mean that much to me. What matters to me is what it sounds like to me and in my room. With that said...

What was your bias? was it for the schroder or the talea?

cheers!...
vertigo
What can we make of posts on the web in various forums that the "schroder is a world class arm but nevertheless i preferred the talea?" i wonder if someone out there preferred his schroder? I'm this is the case. or is it?
Dear Mosin, we always like to think of audio components as pieces of art or the strive for excellence. In fact they are mechanical (tonearms) , electrical or mechanic-electrical devices.
No art, - but either applied physics consequently executed (rarely so..) or fair to good attempts to do so.
The sad fact that so many audiophiles like to look at audio designers as "genius", "guru" or plain "audio wizard" tells a lot about the audio community, but nothing about audio ( if it tells anything, then that a majority of us has no clue about audio design).
It certainly isn't that great news nor does it sound very sexy, but this is plain engineering and fairly low level science.
Our beloved and almost mystical audio components are just that - audio components made to extract, equalize and amplify low frequency (everything we hear is low frequency from the technical viewpoint).
They either do their job fair, good, mediocre or excellent.
Very simple indeed.
Hi Salectric,

Yes, he is that same Dave Shreve. I believe you are right in that he was ahead of his time. We discussed his association with Jim Whiney of Magnepan, the tonearm Magnepan made with on-the-fly VTA, and how it was influenced by Mitchell Cotter's writings. We also talked about the Spiral Groove tonearm, and how it appears to be a progression of the work.

Anyway, Dave has a great set of ears, and he definitely thinks outside the box. I was really thrilled to meet him. He still mods linear tonearms, by the way.

Dertonarm,

I am reminded of the great sculptor, Alexander Caulder, who held a degree in Mechanical Engineering, but considered himself an artist. He thought the two could walk hand in hand, and he proved it by combining disciplines. I suppose he was yet another with an intense ability to think outside the box.

As to simplicity, the devil is in the details, and always has been. Maybe that is what is referred to as being deceptively simple. It is when it can be made to look easy that it becomes art.
Warren Buffet once described value investing as "simple but not easy". I think that can be applied to audio design.
By the way, a fellow named Rabinow invented the Rabco tonearm(s). He lived here in the Washington, DC, area, I think, and was a friend also of Herb Papier, who designed and hand-built the Triplanar. The Rabco tonearm was just a sideline for Mr. Rabinow, as I recall. I guess Dave Shreve improved the Rabco breed; I seem to remember when that happened, after Mr. Rabinow either passed away or just lost interest in the product. Successful audio designers seem to have a lot in common with other successful entrepreneurs; they are first of all smart/creative/insightful, but they also have the perseverance (and in some cases the cash) necessary to bring a product to market.