Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
Here's another thought and question on the XV-1s; is there such thing as a cartridge that is very, very, close to the XV-1s in sound quality and overall character, but at a more reachable cost? A "poor man's" XV-1s?
How about an older Transfiguration Temper? The Trans'fig's are very similar in sound to DV's, and with the Orpheus out in production now you may be able to pick up a Temper at a good price (I did).
Ptmconsulting,

I liked the Temper/Temper V cartridges, but, they were a bit dynamically dull and polite sounding (some would say "dark") for my taste. The Transfiguration line changed quite a bit toward a punchier sound with the Orpheus and with the cheaper Phoenix. There is not that much talk about the Phoenix, but, for a lot less money, that is a very good, lively cartridge.
Yesterday, I had a chance to listen to A90 and a Dynavector XV1-S on a high resolution system. The A90 is new (and possibly not completely broken-in). My XV1-S has 2500 +/- 500 hours of use and it not the most recent iteration.

We played a variety of music. Keeping in mine the caveats described above, I preferred the A90 which to my ear did nothing worse and a few things better. The A90 bass was tauter (but not lean) and the performance just seemed a little better integrated, i.e. musicans playing in unison rather than separately.

Both are terrific cartridges. As always YMMV