Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
I'm one of the people who had heard Madfloyd's former VPI front end. I can tell you there is no comparison between what he had and what he now listens to. The XV-1S remains and now sounds great.

Having written that, I am curious about the XV1S/A90 comparison. Please let us know what differences you hear. Thanks.
Hi Peter,

In case you haven't been on this thread http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1278338549&openfrom&63&4#63, our Schroeder Reference / Talea tonearm comparsion in my room at this year's Rocky Mountain Audiofest is shaping up for the Talea to swap between an A90 and an XV1s.

Frank will be using an A90 along witn another cartridge he's yet to pick out.

No doubt, many who will be in attendance that evening will report on their impressions ... and impressions are all that you can walk away with from a three hour session

One more data point ... down the road.

-----

I suspect the XV1t was left out of this discussion due to price point.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Peter ayer , mad floyd , i have no doubt that in your ears the ?? table with the tri planar arm sounded better , but to say the vpi does not have a "certain level" of sound i think is "a bit" far fetched , sometimes in the audiofile world , things which are cheap and already a long time on the market are considered not interesting( the tri planar is also long on the market is i know ).
I have listened at dealer demos/shows to almost all the topcontenders in tables(excl SME) and cartridges and i would not say the high $ arms and tables are "much" better than what i own now ,i would spent more on a better phono pre ,where i think more progress can be made , i say this because someone who starts with analogue should not think that good analogue sound starts with 15/20000 $$ total investment.
Maybe im just deaf who knows ???
Dcarol

Have you considered the Transfiguration Orpheus L?

I have had one installed in the latest Graham Phantom II arm for just over a year now. Coupled with a TW Raven One tt and Whest PS.30RDT 'SE', the sound from vinyl is spot-on for my tastes. I too use a CJ power amp with Karan reference MkII pre and Avalon Indra speakers.

I am not far from you in North East Hampshire, UK.

Steve