Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
VPI, Conrad Johnson, Levinson. Very well know house sound from each of those for anyone who's been in an audio dealer's shop in the last 20 years or so. I'm glad you like it.
Hi DCarol,

There’s nothing wrong with buying on looks or anything else that “moves us”. We get to vote with our money, and heck, our spouses and families put up with enough of our quirks and fetishes. We owe it to them to not have a gaggle of wires and a general mess in a shared living space. I’m with you on that one, completely.

I wrestle with the whole form follows function thing in my turntable designs. Since I know I can’t be all things to everyone, I accept it, and let function and modularity drive the process. I realize that fixed, enclosed plinths are returning to “fashion”, and I can’t control that. So it goes, and I’ll have to deal with limiting my audience to fans of the modern / industrial look.

OK, so after a bit of pain, we know that the only way we’re going to take that VPI out of your system is to pry it out of your cold, dead hands. I would however, like to see you try one fairly inexpensive experiment before you start playing with cartridges. This could give you a completely different insight into what you’re after.

I’m recommending a drive architecture change. I don’t do motor/controller upgrades anymore (too busy), but your “neighbors” do: http://www.turntable-power-supply.com/index.htm.

Note, that I’m specifically pointing you away from an SDS upgrade, because you’re after a “flavor change”. A DC drive will give you a different perspective on the music – one you may have been looking for ... or not. There’s only one way to find out.

I think you’ll gain a lot of insight into the general sonic character of a DC drive system and how it may suit both your tastes as well as your current system context.

Either way (new cartridge first, or a drive change first), enjoy the journey.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
I'm one of the people who had heard Madfloyd's former VPI front end. I can tell you there is no comparison between what he had and what he now listens to. The XV-1S remains and now sounds great.

Having written that, I am curious about the XV1S/A90 comparison. Please let us know what differences you hear. Thanks.
Hi Peter,

In case you haven't been on this thread http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1278338549&openfrom&63&4#63, our Schroeder Reference / Talea tonearm comparsion in my room at this year's Rocky Mountain Audiofest is shaping up for the Talea to swap between an A90 and an XV1s.

Frank will be using an A90 along witn another cartridge he's yet to pick out.

No doubt, many who will be in attendance that evening will report on their impressions ... and impressions are all that you can walk away with from a three hour session

One more data point ... down the road.

-----

I suspect the XV1t was left out of this discussion due to price point.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier