Schroeder Reference Arm

Hi Folks:

The great Peter Lederman of Soundsmith uses this arm on his VPI HRX Turntable.

What was surprising about Peter's rig is that as much as I respect and like the HRX, I always find it's sound slightly clinical; however the addition of the Schroeder arm made the table sound slightly richer and less clinical while blowing my mind with it's dynamics and accuracy. Has anyone else noticed or tried this? I am experienced enough in this hobby to understand that the tonearm and cartridge provide voicing for the system but a tonearm swap on a turntable of this quality surprised me with the overall change it made. It goes without saying that I think the JMW tonearm series made by VPI are excellent.

Best:

D.H.
danhirsh
None of my customers has reported trying to add another material interface between the cartridge carrier and the headshell on Schroeders. I think this is what you're referring to.

It's a simple thing to try if you're interested. The effects will be dramatic, and my guess is for the worse.

I've made changes as "minor" as replacing metal washers with nylon ones on a Tri-Planar, and the reproduction became blurred and uninvolving.

Ths washers were between the mounting screw head and the top of the headshell and NOT on the underside of the headshell (between cartridge and headshell).

Even with the cartridge still still mating up directly with the bottom of the headshell, the sound fell off dramatically, no matter how firmly I torqued the screws..

Frank has told me that the only disadvantage of the alloy headshell on the Model-2 (vs. the wood DPS & Reference) is that alloy construction makes it more difficult to find the torque sweet spot than with the wood headshell models.

Once you achieve the right torque, there's no difference between the alloy and wood headshells, according to Frank.

If I were going to try anything with a Model-2, I'd expereiment with thin pieces of hardwood, but I'd be prepared to try many different woods before coming to any conclusions.

One problem you'll face, will be in matching the screw length so that it engages with the carrier but does not protrude past the bottom of it - interfering with the cartridge mating to the carrier.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Hi Thom,
Sorry, I just ran into this thread again and would like to add two things. First:
"Once you achieve the right torque, there's no difference between the alloy and wood headshells, according to Frank."
You must have misunderstood what I meant. There is a difference which stems from the different material interface and varying the torque, aka increasing or decreasing contact pressure is an important factor, but NOT the only one.
Using a, say, Nylon washer between the screw head and the headshell on a No.2 arm will give you a wider torque "range", but the headshell-mounting plate will remain pretty much uncompressible(unlike the wooden headhell-mounting plate contact area).
I've had customer who tried the Cartridge Man Isolator with either Reference or No. 2 arms. Some liked it better, others thought it decreased dynamic range.

Secondly:
I have nothing against using the same cart in both arms, but since you expressed a disliking for Lyra cartridges and I'm not super fond of the old Dyna XV-1s(since it imparts too much of it's own sonic fingerprint, imho) we may be able to agree upon the Ortofon A90, if I can get a sample for the show. If not, I'll be bringing what I like which may be a selection of several carts so I can pick what I feel suits the system in your room best. If Joel does the same, the comparison will be reflecting what each of us likes best.
Hopefully fun for everyone...

Cheers,

Frank
as an owner of 2 Ortofon A90's and having mounted them on 4 different arms so far with great success including the Talea and Triplaner here's one vote for the A90 as the common choice of cartridge.

i would volunteer to bring one of mine broken in (both around 150 hours so far) for Frank if he cannot find another to use. i know that Joel already owns an A90 as he has had his in my room.

and yes; i'm hoping my offering might get me a seat in the back corner to quietly observe the proceedings.
Hi Thom,
The idea was to remove the screw that holds the cartridge mounting plate, slide a tight fitting plastic or rubber washer up to the screw head and replace.
Frank understood,
Thank you both
Tawa.