Phono cartridge for classic rock

Any suggestions for a phono cartridge that plays "classic rock" well? It seems that the MCs I've used over the past few years (Lyra Dorian, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A) aren't the best choice. They play some of my old records superb and then some with cold sounding midrange and highs.

If Stanton still made the 881 with the shibata stylus tip they offered I'd be in heaven, but that's not an option. I do have a Dennon DL103 in the closet but haven't tried it with my current gear. I'm using a VPI Scout (just got it and love it), Electrocompaniet ECP1 phono and ECI3 integrated, Linn Ninka loudspeakers. Thanks for any advice.
mbenus
Assuming that you are looking in the same general price range as the Lyra and Ortofon (~$1K), try a Dynavector 17D3.

One word of caution though, you mention that previous cartridges have sounded superb on some recordings and not so good on others. I can't think of any cartridge that will sound superb on all recordings, especially since some recordings are just bad. There's not much a cartridge can do with a bad recording.

Cheers,
John
I have heard the EMT cartridges on a few occasions. I thought they were great on rock. I heard the Denon 103R for the
first time a few days ago. Again, I liked it on rock too.
EMT makes a cartridge called the tsd-15 for just south of 2K.
Your price range may help narrow the choices.
I would agree with you that many MCs are not a good choice for rock records. They are nice for chamber music however. The best rock cart I have found so far is the Shure M97xE with a Jico SAS stylus. I have mine on a Rega arm and it works perfectly. Don't know how it does with the heavier VPI arm though.

Listening to some Ten Years After and Robin Trower last night I was thinking "this is probably how these records were meant to sound". Full, rich, lots of guitar tone.
Look for a pre-owned Shelter 901.

Should do the job and will be quite affordable.
Not sure how much gain your phone pre has, but the Sumiko Black Bird would be a great choice, and would also put out some great bass for any type of rock music - but if you're phono pre isn't on the warm side, the Black Bird might give you that cold sounding mid and highs that you don't like. I use Benz.. they have a warm full sound that I think is perfect for classic rock or any other type of music... JMO.