Anybody with an expensive TT try this????

Have you tried a cheapo cartridge (less than $50)? And how was the sound? Was it terrible or did it make you question, are the $1000 cartridges really worth it? Mike
128x128blueranger
Commcat:I could not disagree with you more. An expensive rig will bring out more information using a cheap cartridge then the reverse.A cheapo TT with all its faults cannot bring out the best in any cartridge.
I don't disagree with Doug. I'm just saying that gems do exist that strut their stuff only on really good turntables, yet don't break the bank. The Technics I mentioned was the first to come to mind.
Mosin,
Technics 205C-IIX is just a stylus model that could be used in EPC-205C-IIL (low) and EPC-205C-IIH (high). I own EPC-205C-IIL (DC resistance is only around 30 Oms). It is great cartridge indeed.
Agree w Moisin, Dougdeacon and Audiofiel. If you really want to get an idea of what can be done with a modest (by our insane standards) price cart on a good tt/arm, check out the long running thread on MM vs MC carts (if you have a few hours to spare). And I'll repeat my mantra- high resolution transducers at either end of the chain (for analog, cart and speakers) will spotlight deficiencies up or downstream as the case may be) like you wouldn't believe.
Winn, I don't disagree with you either. So there!

Swampwalker's mantra:
And I'll repeat my mantra- high resolution transducers at either end of the chain (for analog, cart and speakers) will spotlight deficiencies up or downstream as the case may be) like you wouldn't believe.
Truer words...

Our first truly high end component, just by chance not by design, was our B&W N803 speakers (since upgraded to 803D's). The N803's were an upgrade directly from Bose 901's, so the increase in resolution was enormous - not your typical upgrade. We now had studio quality transducers playing whatever (crappy) signal we fed them.

This gave us the ability and drove the necessity to investigate weaknesses and limitations of every downstream component, from wiring in the wall and resonances in the floor to power cords and conditioning to source components to everything in the amplification chain and signal path.

It's a slippery slope. We started out looking for a $3-4K HT setup. Five years later we had a $60K+ two channel monster. Be careful what you wish for.