Recommendation needed for Turntable

I'm not sure that I'm a real audiophile and am on a budget of about $1000, and would like to keep it there, for a new/used turntable. My Rega P2, bought in 1996, broke in a move last year. I'm ready to replace it.

I have about 300 CDS and about 500 lp records. I listen to the following music:

Jazz: 20%
Pop/Rock: 50%;
Folk/Acoustic Blues: 20%; and
Classical: 10%.

My system is as follows:

Integrated amp: Creek 5350se, with se MM phono board; Loudspeakers: Totem Arros; and
CD player: Rotel RCD-1072.

I would greatly appreciate some recommendations for a turntable. I honestly was probably ready for a slight upgrade on my Rega P2 when it broke. I have no preference for new or used, as long as it is well built.

I haven't auditioned any equipment in so long and I don't keep up on what's new anymore, so I kind of feel lost. I thought about picking up a 70s Thorens TT and starting there. Then I thought about buying a P3. Now I'm truly lost! Please help. Thanks much to community. I appreciate your time and sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Jamey
128x128jbhiller
Jbhiller, how does the KAB-Technics necessarily be over $1000?

You can get the SL-1210MK5SE with the tonearm fluid damper system for $753 from kabusa.com. A Denon DL-103 cartridge (for example) is around $200. That's under your $1000 limit, and should provide great sound for years.

It's not the only one, but it sounds mighty good for the price.

Michael
Good point Michael.

I was arriving at the number by purchasing the 1210M5G because it had better stock wiring and I liked it's looks a bit better. I was adding in the tonearm re-wire, strobe disabler, and at least $125 for a cartridge. That gets me >$1000.

So it's not necessary and I could do some upgrades on my own. I am still "on the fence" but I'm concerned about the following:

Not being able to audition the KAB;
KAB modded table's resale;

I like the following:

Technics tables are built like tanks;
Easy to find parts and service;
Nice looking and with good features.
Michael,

Do you have a KAB? If so, how does your KAB compare with your Musichall listed on your system profile? I am very interested!
Yes, I do have the KAB Technics (with the fluid damper). Sorry I haven't updated my system on Audiogon for a while. I had previously had a Project RPM-6 turntable, and before that a Music Hall MMF-5. The Technics is head and shoulders above those two. I haven't heard a Rega so I can't compare it there. Not only does it sound better than the Music Hall and Project, but it's more versatile with cartridges (especially with the fluid damper), built to last, and easier to adjust. The sound is fuller, more detailed, and has less noise than the other two tables. Also, Kevin at KAB is very helpful in answering questions and getting you on track. That's worth something, too.

I'm not naive to think that this is the only or necessarily the best option for the price, and I used to dismiss people when they made comments about the Technics in a "high-end forum", but now that I have one I can appreciate what they were saying about the relatively high bang for the buck.

Michael
Thanks, Michael.

I emailed Kevin and he has been helpful. I'm thinking of a table, arm rewire and cartridge at around $1000. Nice thing is, it should last forever.

My Rega was great but a touch ginerly in its make and sound. I am, however, nervous about how good the tonearm will sound--or make the whole unit sound. I may bite the bullet and go with a KAB.

I will say, the attack of a Technics is nice and aggressive and--quite frankly--I haven't heard one that was shrill or anything and those I've listened to have had inexpensive cartridges.

Thanks again.