Lyra Helikon vs Skala

Hey guys,

I know the Skala is a newer generation in design and I've heard its a little warmer. Is it worth the extra $$.

I have a Sota Star Sapphire III and SME IV.Vi with a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp. Revel Gem speakers and B15 sub with a Krell amp. The arm is brand new and hoping it will last me a long long time. The table I just got used and will probably upgrade in a couple years.

Thanks,
Russ
rhohense
Hi I did this upgrade a few years ago. At the time I had a SME 20/2 IV.Vi arm.

Yes a lil warmer, but more resolution, more clarity/less distortion, more natural presentation. I felt nothing went backwards. Your mileage may vary (but not by much :)
Hi, a few more comments here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1156080228&read&keyw&zzskala
I went down this route with a Rega RB 1000 more than a year ago. Completely agree with Jfrech. In every which way the Skala is a superior cart and in many respects comes close to the Titan i.IMHO the Skala is worth the extra moolah.Recently, I switched from the Skala to a Transfiguration Orpheus L.Constancy is not a virtue in this hobby.
Best of luck.
I had a Skala and when I listened to the Helikon, I sold the Skala (still have the Titan i).
The Helikon is one the the real good sounding Cartridges out there. The Balance is outstanding, better than the Skala. Good as it is, the Skala never moved me in the way, the Helikon does. The Helikon is a superb cartridge for a long time listener, it never gets boring or sharp. No Coolness and right in the tonality, linked with clear Soundstage (the Koetsu RSP is a desaster in comparison to this one), even in very complex classic recordings (LSC 2327...). Yes, I think, for the money the Helikon is a GREAT cartridge. I would buy it again.