Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
Dear Peterayer, the huge majority of todays tonearms is static balanced mode design and features gimbal bearings. Its a matter of economics - both in design effort as well as in financial input.
Cheers,
D.
P.S.:..... we made 200 again....
Dertonarm, would you build the phonostage as well to have the full chain?
I think there is another one out there...
Hi D. --- 201!
Will you be planning to stick to "Pierre Lurné on Analogue Thoughts" geometry inputs, I ask?

The one thing with ALL arms that I cannot recall, be ONE that actually would practice those apparently most important notions.

We spoke about it before, but all I recall was, - using my own words: "Got the cap, got the T-shirt..."

So, either those principals are geometrically correct, and by that token you would ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO apply them, or it be the first time you'd deviate from your path of the ultimate tonearm-truth --- "the Via Apia straight to the centre Rome.."

Would you care to comment, without subterfuges or other deflections, -- lest that whole discourse starts to smell a lot like new-style marketing (at least to me).
If a new Top-high-end tonearm is introduced and his price tag is half of the big Continuum, new DaVinci, Air Tangent (still around ?) etc. - no one will take it seriously.
In other words: you introduce the "best universal tonearm" ( NOT my words...) to the market and put a retail price tag on it of US$3890,-.
There are hundreds of potential buyers on this planet who won't take it seriously and will not even consider buying it to test.
No matter how fancy the cosmetics - no matter if its coming in a cherished antique finish wooden presentation box with gold plated dressings.
You put a price tag of US$20 000,- on the very same tonearm and you will sell 3 dozens to the far east market (and to Russia...) in the first 3 weeks.
Why ?
Because with this price tag the tonearm does transport a huge image, status and "face" to its buyer.

This tonearm exists, I mean an actual one, made from a real clever man who tries to move the curtain for years, but from marketing aspects he is too good for this world.
I made all comparisons and when I take as a standard a piece of wood with 2 strings and a magnet which is sold for 7k today and I do a Performance (coloration, true tone, Frequency response, Set up, Alignment etc.)/Price comparison, than this actual Arm is easily worth 20K.
Easily.
But you need a good System to get that result.
Dear Perrew, I have already built the phono stage which closed the book for me (and for several others who before had all worth mentioning in the top-price region).
If you happen to come to Munich one day - let us know in advance and you are inivited for a nice session and a good coffee at the lakeside.
Cheers,
D.