Trying to get in to vinyl, turntable suggestions?

Hello All,

After hearing some great analog setups I've got the itch. My Integra dtc 9.8 does have a phono input, but I plan to get a phono stage down the road, that I could connect to my Anthem Pre 2l SE.

In the meantime, any suggestions to get me started...I'm looking for a good turntable that could benefit down the road from upgrades as I get more money.

I'm hoping to spend less than 500 for the TT, and then willing to purchase a cartridge seperately if I have to.

I've read good things about thorens and the nad 533. What about the technics sl-1200? I'm looking to buy used for now.

I listen to a lot of Dave Matthews Band, Pink Floyd, some Paul Simon..Jack Johnson..

Any thoughts?
I've linked my system below hopefully did it right..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1240167743&view
burnsy1
Plenty of info in the forums about the Technics sl-1200 series...which should keep you busy for a little while.
I've tried quite a few tables at various price levels but the one budget table I'm most impressed with (for the money) is the Systemdek IIx that I recently picked up. You'll see them listed for between $250 and $450 including an arm, depending on what arm is included, and whether a cartridge or other accessories are included.

It's easy to set up, well built, and sounds amazing for the $.
Forget about Dave Mathews and vinyl, There are only a couple of 45's available at a premium. Plenty of the other 3 though.

With no experience, the Technics is a home run. Very easy to set up and use and a great resale if you want to get out from under. It also has a great upgrade path if you want to stay aboard. A table and $100- cart for around $500-
Thanks for the info so far. Checking out the technics on ebay, there are a handfull at varying prices. Anything in particular I should watch out for when considering used?

I notice many of these were used by dj's... is that a lot of wear and tear on the unit? One of them says was part of the dj equipment but saw little use before the club shut down.
04-19-09: Burnsy1
Thanks for the info so far. Checking out the technics on ebay, there are a handfull at varying prices. Anything in particular I should watch out for when considering used?

I notice many of these were used by dj's... is that a lot of wear and tear on the unit?
Given your price range, there is no reason to buy the Technics used. You can find the SL1210 M5G (has better tonearm wire and sounds better) new online shipped for under $500. I have a Technics and like it a lot, but would be cautious about buying used because so many are used for DJ-ing, which means they've usually had a rough life before hitting the used market.