2 turntables and one phono stage - Can I???

I have 2 turntables in my system, my phono stage has one set of RCA inputs. Up to now I have been swapping them out manually whenever I switched tables however its getting to be a pain to crawl behind the rack to swap out ICs. Can I safely use a splitter on the phono stage to accept both turntables or will that mess something up?

Thanks
gjrad
Spliiting that will degrade the sound. Keep in mind the siganl coming from the cartridge is a weak and EMI/RFI vunerable signal. If you must do this for budget reasons till you can aquire a second phono stage. You would be best served by looking at AudioQuest splitter blocks, these can be found at most audio web sites. Audioadvisor.com for example.
No, you cannot use a splitter at the input to a phono stage, not even the AudioQuest splitter. The reason is that cart has very low internal impedance. When you put two carts together in a splitter, they are effectively shorting each other out.

Your best option other than replacing the phone stage is to get a high quality mechanical A/B switch.
As Sidssp inferred, you COULD use a splitter, if you also used a switch, so that the phono circuit was only "seeing" one of the two cartridges at any one time, or to put the same concept in another way, so that the cartridge you are listening to will not "see" the other cartridge in parallel with the phono input impedance. This probably would require an outboard box containing a switch plus two pairs of phono inputs. If you decide to do that, just hard wire the from the internal leads to the one phono input on your preamp (i.e., I would advise you to avoid using yet another pair of ICs with another set of RCAs to do this).
Dear Gjrad: The other issue is that both cartridges will see the same load impedance, if both cartridges performs at its best with the same load impedance that will be fine.

I don't know the Joule facilities about, I mean if you can change the load impedance in an easy way through an external control.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
I agree with Sid and Lew that each cartridge must absolutely not be allowed to be loaded by the other cartridge. I don't know if the Dynavector DV20X listed in your system description is the high output or low output version, but in each case you'll notice in its specs that the recommended MINIMUM load impedance is around 6 times greater than the cartridge's dc resistance. And besides that, while inductance appears to be unspecified, it too is likely to be significant and would make the loading presented by one cartridge to the other (if they were connected together) frequency dependent.

I'm not sure that a mechanical switch would work very well either. Each channel of a cartridge output should be thought of as a differential, balanced pair of signals, one side of which should be grounded when and only when it reaches the rca input on the phono preamp. A typical mechanical switch will switch one of the two leads of each channel of each cartridge, but will permanently connect the other lead (the one that is on the shield of the turntable's interconnect cable) to the metal enclosure of the switch (through the rca shell), and to the shields of the leads from the other turntable and the other channel, as well as to the shields of the output cables. Which, considering the low signal levels that are involved, would seem to be an invitation to noise, hum, and ground loop problems.

Regards,
-- Al