Now what?

I like the sound of the Rega Apollo-R, but I don't like how it won't read disc that aren't perfect. I decided to start looking into replacing it. My journey began with a Densen 400 Plus. Wow what a difference. The Densen is bright, imaging is poor, sound stays between the speakers. Now I really understand when people say a component gives the prospective of sitting in the front row. My problem is I want to change from the Apollo, but I don't want to spend more than 2K for a new or used player. Can I do better than a Rega Apollo-R for less than 2K? If so, I need two or three recommendations to listen to.
ricred1
I talked to a Rega technician yesterday and he told me I needed a new laser. I'm sending it to True Sound for repair and upon its return will sell it.
Hi Foster - I was confused by your post at first, since I agree with it 100%. Then I realized that it was mine that was unclear, as usual. I meant it to refer to my equipment, not necessarily the OPs or anyone else's. I was just trying to suggest other possible causes of the problem besides the CD player itself. Rar1's comments about the burning speed may have alot to do with it, as well. I usually burn stuff on the faster setting, as I am not generally critically listening to the CDs I burn. I happen to be burning some stuff right now that I want as good a copy of as I can get on my limited equipment, though, so I will try that slower setting and see if it makes much difference.
You get can the laser assembly and install it yourself. In the newer version of the older Apollo it is just a swap in and out, no adjustments. The newer laser made a big difference in the player although I only use it as a transport with a Museatex BiDat. The stock DAC is not very good sounding versus the Museatex.
I've listen to a couple of CD players and I prefer a Metronome CDV2 Signature over everything I've heard. Why does a 10 year old CD player sound better than some of the current players? I thought digital technology has improved over the past 10 years.
You prefer the Metronome because you are using your ears instead of a spec sheet. Too many people do the opposite. Some of the most highly-regarded digital players use old DAC chips. There is a lot more to a digital player than the chips. I will take another shot at recommending the Doge6 from Pacific Valve. 2K and 30-day money back. Absolutely huge soundstage and detailed, yet warm sound. There's a reason that they almost never come up for sale used. I sold mine to finance a great deal on an Esoteric X-05. Big mistake on my part. Anyway, that's what I think. Pacific Valve gives you a 1-year warranty. IMO, if the thing doesn't break in the first year, you're going to get quite a bit of service out of it. Good Luck.