audio research ph7 & Cartridge

Hi,

I'm fairly new in the analog world. I own a Audio Research PH7. Today I bought a Brinkmann LaGrange with a 10.5 arm. Which cartidge will be a good or perfect match for this combo. I'm thinking about a Benz Micro lps 0.36 mv or an Ortofon Windfeld 0.30 mv. The only thing is both cartidges have low outputs and the Audio Research has only 57db of gain. Other equipment is Audio Research Ref 2 mk2, Audio Research VT200 and speakers are the latest versions Avalon Acendant.

Rojo
128x128rojo1955
Hi Syntax
but the man is complaining about lacking dynamics!

[Taters]>>> .. and the system had no dynamics...<<<

There must be something to it, not so? Or is it just the cart's fault then?

Axel
Hello Axel, I read it the way, that he used the PH7 probably with a low gain preamp (or similar and the higher output MC did compensate it). Lacking dynamic can have different reasons, not everything is based on cartridge.
But Rojo1955 has min. 69dB Gain to the poweramp, normally that's high enough ...
Rojo,
I have a similar setup.
PH7, Ref2 MK2. D400 Mk2. Balanced out between Ref2 & D400. (This adds more gain). Using the Audio Technica AT33 with .5 output. I think the .5 is the minimum output for the 57db gain. At .3, .36 you will be right on the edge. I don't think it's enough.
I have my gain setting on the Ref2 between 2-4 o'clock. Be careful if switching to tuner or balanced CD input. Gain control goes down to 10 o'clock.
Luckily the Ref2 has alot of gain, don't switch to the Ref3 it has less gain.
I think with the PH7 you need .8 output.
The PH7 is a fantastic Phono pre-amp.

My thoughts.
Bill
Thanks for your response, I'm not complaining about dynamics. The PH7 is still in the box, Saturday I will have my LaGrange. For cd I play with the Ref CD 8 and my system is very dynamical. Any experience with the Musikmaker Classic???

rojo