The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike
Post removed 
I do understand. There are a few bums that want something for nothing. If the price isn't worth it to them, why would they buy it for less or want the item at all? Lowballers can keep movin'.
Being a business, or hobbyist, is irrelevant. Granted, the business is normally not going to take a loss. The hobbyist will, to a certain degree. I don't think a hobbyist is going to take 10 cents, (or less) on the dollar either. Why would they? Anyone so desperate that they want to give stuff away for even 30 cents on the dollar can contact me. I'll take it all, and quit my day job. It just DOESN'T happen. EVER. If you think it does, you probably think you have a date with a "French model" this weekend too.
I forget who said "Something's worth whatever the buyer pays for it" (and I guess I could google it, but whatever), but it's completely true. If I found good ARC Vs-110 and I had funds, I'd simply click-on the "Buy Now" button without a second thought.

But here's another question - which may be better suited to its own thread. Did dealers selling products for the full retail price always exist on audiogon? I don't seem to remember them having as much of a presence 5 or 8 years ago.

However, Viridian has a point inasmuch as most of us aren't businesses. We're private owners and hobbyists who are always looking for something new or a different sound, etc. Again, it's the art of the deal, of the haggle, of the "hey, here's something I want; what're you willing to accept?". But it should never devolve into moronic name calling.
You have to love people who take simple things an make them combative. Fundamentally the basic tenants of the post have gone completely unanswered by the "lowballers are scum" crowd.

The value of something is different for different people based on a variety of reasons. One persons view of lowballing is completely different than the next and we have all seen prices for the same item vary wildly. Much of what is offered on AGon is 50% of the original list and there are absolutely items on AGon at 30% of the original list. Zydo, time to quit your job and start buying!

This makes a standard for lowballing impossible to define. The easy answer is if you don't want offers don't allow them. Then you'll see if your assessment of the item your selling matches the market. Or allow offers and if you don't like an offer just ignore it or counter it but leave the histrionics and name calling out. You have a choice.

I particularly love this gem "If the price isn't worth it to them, why would they buy it for less or want the item at all?" Does this mean the poster wouldn't offer less on a house or a car, because you know if the price isn't worth it why buy at all? YIKES! I would not buy a Audi A6 for $100K but I would for $50K...

The value of things is relative. A guy recently had a Moto Guzzi Eldorado for sale for 7 months with no luck in part because he was firm on price. I had been looking for a unmolested version for years and purchased at full price. Why? Because I put a much higher value on it (both emotional and financial). I've also walked away from deals where I could not get a substantial discount. Niether of these makes me a good or bad guy just a person who sets a value based on my needs and frame of reference.

Finally I really did think she was a French model I mean I found her on the internet!