The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike

Showing 4 responses by polk432

I do understand. There are a few bums that want something for nothing. If the price isn't worth it to them, why would they buy it for less or want the item at all? Lowballers can keep movin'.
Lowballers just want to be in the same league as people that can afford things, only they think they are above paying the price whether they have the funds or not. Just pay the price (reasonable or not) or just butt out. 1st time offenders should get a warning (to properly guage an offer the next time) 2nd time offenders should be kicked off of agon ebay clist or any other places they can buy. Let them go lowball the brick and morter stores.
If you have an item for sale buy it now for 5K and some lowballer offers you 850.00 for it, there's something wrong with you if you take it. I may entertain 4700.00 but nothing less. I would just keep it before giving it to someone that has a self entitlement additude. Bon-jore!
Just pay the price or butt out? Why don't we hear from the Lowballers that don't agree with Highballers that seem to charge too much? Paying the price means that a RESPECTABLE offer has been made on an item. No reputable business's cater to bums that think they can pay whatever they'd like. If you're weaving down the highway and get stopped by the Police, a Lowballer would probably use the excuse that they are a member of Damm. Drunks Against Mad Mothers.