The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike
WOW, Simao that is kooky. Never had that happen. So you "ruined" it by not giving it away? That is kooky.
Hello Superbike,
Your idea of making an offer with explanation seems very reasonable to me. It may have actually helped you get it at your offer as some buyers always automatically try to get the price down.
I bought a Magnum Dynalab 160T here some time ago. Mine was the usual blackface and it worked visually with my system. The silver face are much rarer and very handsome. Mine came with the MD Signal Sleuth which really helps. I then purchased the MD ST-2 antenna. I am located on a top floor apartment and have the antenna mounted with a hose clamp to a terrace railing. My main station is WQXR which I love. I don't quite love Alec Baldwin, tho. HA! Enjoy your GREAT your tuner!!
superbike, its got nothing to do with what I think is a fair price. (I already know that) I'm talking about the drop dead ridiculous offers. Even the items I list as firm still get these offers. I'd love a $50,000 pair of speakers, or a $30,000 amp. I still won't send an offer of $5,000, or $3,000 to someone trying to sell them. I think my first post sums it up. If I list an item at $2,000, OBO, $1,600 is reasonable. (I still won't take it, but legit) $400, that's a lowball, and they know it. I can't make up my mind if these people are that dumb, or if they think I, or any other seller might be.
Superbike,

Apparently, yes. Because I wasn't willing to take 60% off the asking price, I had "ruined" audiogon for all those who wanted good stuff at far below market value.

About ten years ago I sold off most of my first primary system as my divorce unfolded. Maggies, ARC's, Blue Circles, Wadias -- all sold for either the asking price or maybe ten percent below.

Was it the booming (but about to stop booming) economy that caused people to pay the asking price or close to it? I don't know. I do know, though, that I never received a ridiculous lowball offer like I have recently.
Lowballers just want to be in the same league as people that can afford things, only they think they are above paying the price whether they have the funds or not. Just pay the price (reasonable or not) or just butt out. 1st time offenders should get a warning (to properly guage an offer the next time) 2nd time offenders should be kicked off of agon ebay clist or any other places they can buy. Let them go lowball the brick and morter stores.