Well-Tempered Golf Ball?

In this month's TAS they describe the Well-Tempered Amadeus as follows: "tonearm is suspended from fishing line (which I've seen and understand) and damped with a golf ball."

Can someone explain this golf ball? Are we talking a Titleist here or merely something that reminds the author of a golf ball?
grimace
Schipo,

I hope the appearance point is self evident: the thing looks like a high school science project gone wrong. Every high end product needn't be finished like a museum piece, but this one is sloppy.

As to my objection to WT Labs' use of the term "Precision made" to describe their golf ball; my issue is that this phrase is market speak for "expensive" as in:

"Our megabuck pre amp is so expensive because we use "precision made" XYZ brand resistors and capacitors".

I find that the use of this phrase by any manufacturer is generally sort of obnoxious, but WT Labs' using it to describe a golf ball marks a new height of idiocy. Maybe WT Labs uses golf balls that are superior to those used by all of their competitors in the suddenly frenzied golf ball bearing tonearm market. Perhaps the competition is using recycled balls fished from the water hazard over by the 18th hole.

Let's be generous for a moment. Perhaps WT Labs is merely trying to educate its potential customers that all golf balls - not just those employed in their bearing - are made with a precision unappreciated by the high end market. You'd be surprised at the complexity of manufacturing a golf ball, not easy (or cheap) you know...Oh wait a minute ...even the best golf balls cost less than a few bucks a pop. Please!

Look - if a golf ball makes a great bearing, say so. As in "after trying exotic materials like XYZ, we've found that a SIMPLE golf ball works best". Of course, this would imply that an arm using a golf ball SHOULD be cheaper. I'm pretty confident that this explains why WT Labs does not so describe the golf ball they use.

Sorry, but even if this product is great - I find their marketing of it insulting. I know a lot of folks love their products (and I'd never argue the point as I have had limited experience here), but the company deserves all the crap they can get over this one.

Marty
There are some very funny answers here but I don't see any comment from anyone who has heard one.I've heard an Amadeus at length , ( many hours , several different carts and electronics).I'm not an owner or affiliated in any way with Well Tempered ; I just spend too much time at my dealer's place!
I'm not a reviewer so can't use the audiophile terminology as well as others here ; these are just listening impressions. In summary , it is ( IMO) an outstanding table.It is very quiet , with no rumble detectable. Speed is accurate ( Clearaudio strobe and KAB strobe)- I'm quite pitch sensitive so thankfully I couldn't hear any problems.Music just floats from a very black background.e played a very old Peggy Lee LP last week which looked like it had seen better days ( likle most of us , I guess) but it had no problems and tracked well. The standard cart seems to be Dyna XX2 but we played with my Te Kaitora Rua and a Koetsu Rosewood we had lying around. The better the cart , the better the sound I think I'm trying to say.My listening is almost exclusively jazz and classical but I love " Le Parc" by Tangerine Dream . On " Yellowstone Parc" there is a tight low bass line which underpins the whole song- get this wrong , and there is just an awful low frequency mess. Get it right and there is a darkly forboding , but very melodic , tight rhythm which is why the song appeals to me. Suffice to say , the Amadeus nails it.
I can't add anything to the discussion about appearance or construction/ marketing although it does look better in real life.Like others , I'm not sure about the hooplah about a "Precision " golf ball , but the thing works.My only slight concern is the fixed mounting arrangment of the carts which may prove an issue for some but on the carts I'v tried with it, no problem. Is it the best table I've ever heard- no , but it isn't the worst either.It's just a very very good table , at a not ridiculous price ( in $ NZ).
Cheers
Martykl I would agree with you on some points. But I will say and in your own words when a "high school project" trashes an $8,000 dollar table. Then we must reevaluate most high end tables and arms, and then consider why a pioneering product such as the WTA with it's precession perfect sphere golf ball. A product in my mind that took alot of and no pun intended "BALLS"" put into production.That is going to kick many of the same mega buck table's and arm combos that now have to justify there cost.
>>02-15-09: Jallen
Do listen to the VPI Scoutmaster, it is truely spectacular<<

Well that's a boatload of hyperbole so let's be realistic.

It's a competent table, but hardly spectacular.
Schipo,

I merely said that it (i.e. the exposed bearing) LOOKS like a high school project. Hide the damn bearing and pass the additional $2 worth of plastic collar costs along to the consumer! While you're at it WT Labs, cut the crap and acknowledge that the cost of your arm bearing is <$2 and pass that savings along to the consumer. When that is done we can admire the product, but still chuckle at the idea.

BTW, they might want to consider a more colorful model name. Too bad "Milky Stork" is already taken.

Marty