Analog Noob: I have a few questions

Hi,

I am hoping I can be pointed in the right direction. I am looking to get into analogue, and as far as I know, will need the following: turntable/cartridge (usually sold together on lower-end product), a phono preamp, and some cables. And, some LP's!

Where should I start? I don't have an unlimited budget: trying to keep it around $1000 for starters, perhaps a bit more. Any suggestions, either new or used? I am typically an A'gon shopper, buying used from the boards, but there is a good 2-channel analogue shop a few hours away, so I don't mind buying new, either. They know their stuff, but I am not sure they have anything in the price range I am looking at.

I listen to jazz, vocals, acoustic guitar, and orchestral and chamber music. My system is solid yet forgiving: Dehavilland preamp, upgraded McCormack DNA-125 Gold, and Tyler acoustics Linbrook Signature full-range. I am anticipating some great-sounding music with LP's!
dawgcatching
12-19-08: Casey33
And get one of those Stepford wives,very low maintainence.

Best advice I've seen in these forums in a long, long time.

Cheers,
John
I'd second an old Thorens as a good starter table. TD-160s can usually be had for $3-400 dollars depending on the version. They sound good and when you want to upgrade you'll get all you're money back reselling it.
It's not rocket science.

Millions of people with good ears have spun records for years...it's not that complicated.

Can't go wrong with a used Linn in good operating condition.

The best thing about it these days is you can pick up used albums that sound great cheap for the most part.

If listening for 20 minutes then having to change sides doesn't put you off, or if your not mostly into newer music, go for it. Your price target is a good one for a first rig.
You might consider the "baby" Soundsmith cartridge.Sounds like it may out-perform some of the entry level cartridges of the past.Around $299.
Consider this, a new Rega P3 or used Systemdek, but Incognito wire the RB250 or RB300/301 arm, and get the Michell Technoweight too. As far as cartridges, Denon DL-110 or DL-160 are fantastic. Upgrade to Dynavector 10x5, all 3 are great intro to vinyl carts. Put the tt on a wall shelf(especially Systemdek). I've spent all the money you alloted, but a Cambridge Audio 640p is a great phono stage for the money. Next, Google the Van Den Hul turntable system setup, this has been very important to my vinyl listening enjoyment. The Rega is so simple, it's hard to go wrong with it. Systemdek IIX sounds better to me, but requires some setup. You'll also need a Shure stylus force gauge, a cartridge allignment protractor(DB Systems or the like), and a bubble level to get your setup close to correct. You and your friends will love listening to records with this equipment! Enjoy!