Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
I know exactly what you mean, Jwm, we're on the same page. I agree there's a subset group of buyers for whom price is the only consideration - nothing else matters. I just wonder if too many salespeople prematurely "give up" on potential customers thinking that they are part of that subset group, when in fact all they need is the right salesperson to look them in the eye, speak to them respectfully, ask the right questions, and show them the value of an interpersonal relationship. Some people just have to be shown the way - until they've eaten in a Ruth's Chris, they think Applebees has the best steak :-)
Begator I agree with you. I want to share with you what a salesman once told me that I'm so good I can sell anyone who walks in that door. Today most salespeople who are young kids are not that good and a lot don't even know their products. It's a different time today where personal care does not seem to be as important.
No offense Bcgator but you just contradicted yourself by comparing Ruth's Chris and Applebees. That's like suggesting enthusiasts avoid spending money at Radio Shack and spend it at Best Buy instead. Unless of course you were kidding in which case my sincerest apologies. Good day sir.
75 percent of folks going into a retail store do not plan on buying in the moment. Further, hobby stores, which for most audio is, thrives on the culture in nature's and creates, which means creating relationships with like minded folks while discussing music and equipment. The person who frequents shop to shoot the breeze, talk music, equipment and to listen to reference systems they may not be able to afford build a reciprocating relationship with the merchant that leads to future sales and sales referral.

The merchant who wants you to buy now or leave is just pushing boxes and ultimately doing the community a disservice. This person needs to open a grocery store or gas station.

Anyone who has been in the expendable income retail understands this and uses it to their advantage. Every satisfied customer leads to more....a turned off potential customer leads to a loss of future revenue exponentially.
Roxy54 has gone too far.

If am not mistaken, dealers generally make 100% profit on new gears (e.g manufacturers sells a gear to dealer for $1000 which then retails for $2000).

If a dealer expects each and every person entering his shop to buy a gear from him then the dealer will quickly make billions and his sales persons millions.

The 100% profit given by the manufacturers is meant to be spent on attracting potential customers by arousing their curiosity, fueling their interests, assisting them making the right choice, and helping them overall.

This is called marketing.