Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
Brick & Mortar high end audio stores are a necessity. People that come into the stores, simply to demo equipment and buy online are the reason why the B&M stores are disapearing. That doesn't imply that the store dealers shouldn't have competitive prices. They should. But on line typically meant that no state taxes were applied. This gives the on line dealers a distinct advantage over B&M stores. However, I miss Tower Records, circuit city and other stores. I really miss book stores. I love the smell of books. but, it is really hard to find book stores now. I've spent years establishing a relationship with my favorite store in San Diego. Stereo Design. I'm confortable going there. I still go into other stores to see what they have and the attitude is the same everywhere (unless they know you). They look you up and down first, determined without speaking a word to you that you can or can't afford their stuff or that you don't know anything about music or equipment and treat you like one of the lost boys. Until, that is, they ask (as they always do) what equipment do you currently have. When you tell them, their faces change immediately. I was in Stockholm a year or so ago with my ladyfriend at the time and visited a mid to high end audio store. the salesperson was to say the least indifferent boarding on rude. I was actually looking for a small system for my friend but wasn't getting any attention at all, which was funny to me. However, when he asked what I had, and I told him, his attitued changed immediately. So, this attitude isn't solely attributable to America. When I left, I had no intention of ever doing business with them again. Here's the thing, when it comes to me spending my money on anything, the salesperson cannot treat me as if he is doing me a favor by taking the time to speak to me. I'm spending my money, not the other way around. I live in Los Angeles, and just like what was presented in the movie Pretty Woman, in LA, you never know who is walking in the door. They could be dressed in jeans and be incredibly rich. you just don't know. So the best thing to do is treat all potential customers with respect and consideration. Because that one customer may be your best sale of the week. I go to my favorite store to spend time listening in their best listening room on the best equipment just to see/hear if my system is lacking in some way on my music. And you know what? They let me listen. Because the know me and they know if I'm inclined, I will upgrade. But, they also know that I typically come in with no intention of buying anything. Doesn't mean they can't show me something to consider does it? Also, their used equipment room has some very nice used equipment. But for new equipment, I will buy from them every time. I appreciate them, their knowledge and consideration.

People that go to B&M stores to try on shoes or clothes or listen to high end equipment and then buy it on line should never complain that the stores are disapearing. What did they think would happen?

So, my opinion is to establish good relations with the B&M stores and dealers. When purchasing new equipment do so from them. Nothing wrong with used stuff. For some things, that is the only way to go in order to afford them. But, when I get the time and money to upgrade my amps to the Audio Research REF 250 amps, I know where I will buy them.

enjoy
"So, my opinion is to establish good relations with the B&M stores and dealers."

No doubt always a good idea to operate with good faith.

There are limits though. Good relationships are a two way street and can be hard to accomplish when goals and priorities are different.

Personally, I have bought recently both online and from a couple local B&M stores. I am willing to pay a premium for good customer service. Good sound in home audio is not easy. Most people need the kind of help that only someone knowledgeable in the area can provide. That has value.

It would not be proper for one to go into a store, spend considerable amount of time with a consultant there, end up liking the product being proposed, and then buying elsewhere for less.

Thing is there are many reasons why a particular sale might not occur and the seller will never know the reason for sure. SO best to just invest their time wisely if truly so busy, and let the cards fall where they may.

Many times these days when I go into audio stores, the stores are mostly empty and salespeople not busy helping others and seem more than happy to spend some time chatting on whatever topic I might have in mind.
as a former real estate agent i can offer my opinion on 'lookers'...it is part of the job to take risks with potential customers and if you are only willing to work with people that need a house in 5 minutes you are either a billionaire or not cut out for the job. salesmen all get together and tell war stories but at crunch time you put on game face and try to make the best of it and figure out what the person is really looking for etc. i see nothing wrong with shopping if you honestly tell the guy you are just in the looking stage and tell him you do not want to waste his time etc.. HOW ELSE IS AN AUDIO SHOP GOING TO ATTRACT LOYAL CUSTOMERS IF THEY DO NOT EXPECT AND TREAT KINDLY THOSE NOT READY TO BUY RIGHT NOW? a bona fide audiophile salesman will hopefully enjoy the opportunity to talk shop and create a return customer. if not, then too bad for him and the owner who has this guy on the floor. the abuse you took on this post was not justified in my opinion.