artemis lab, phono preamp?

Good Day,

just need some advise on this phono preamp?

the Artemis Labs:
http://www.artemislabs.com/PL-1-vacuum-tube-phono-preamp.html

Does someone who ownes one, could send me his impressions on the product? or someone who got the chance to listen to it?

i had read, the stereophiles and soundstages comment on this one and it seems to be Good but overpriced?

Should i went fot the audioresearch instead, like ph7?
jazzbeq
Can anyone comment on the noise level of the Artemis PL-1? Is it a very noisy phonostage?
Swap out a few different 6N1P's (the input tube). This is almost always the problem.

The good news is that they're inexpensive and you need only one of them. The bad news is that you'll find some that are quieter than others.

The Artemis phono stages are not the quietest ones on the block, and this bothers some individuals more than others. In a perfect world, all components are dead silent. Given a less than perfect world, I listen for how a component conveys the musical intent of the performer above all other criteria.

My advice (as a former Artemis dealer) to those choosing between the PH-1 (52 dB gain) and the PL-1 (72 db) is to go with the PH-1. The PH-1 gives you the flexibility to match the step-up transformer to the cartridge. While the internal step-up in the PL-1 is very good, no single step-up transformer is ideal for all cartridges.

There's a misconception by some that the PL-1 is a different design. It is merely a PH-1 with an internal MC step-up transformer.

I reserved my recommendation of the PL-1 to those who absolutely hated having an extra component on their equipment shelf. With the narrow footprint of the PH-1/PL-1, this is not the issue it is with full width components.

Yes, there's a disadvantage in having an extra connection - assuming you limit it to one extra connection, by having a hard-wired output which saves you one connection). The return is flexibility to match components.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Thanks Thom for your comments. Is there any particular 6N1P that you would recommend?
I haven't been able to generalize on the 6N1P's. I think they come out of only 2 factories under different labels.

On the subject of tubes (not from a noise perspective, but rather from a sonic one), I'd look into replacing the JAN Philips 5687's.

The Philips are nice tubes and I understand why they selected them. I think a manufacturer has an ethical obligation to furnish a product in a configuration that an owner can easily replicate, and the Philips tubes are in plentiful supply. Kudos to Artemis for not putting their thumb on the scale.

I'd look into something like the Raytheon 5687's as a replacement.

Interestingly, the 12AX7 position is not all that touchy, and I'd look into this pair last. I've tried a few tubes in this position, and the stock, cryo-treated ones re-branded with the distributor's logo (Aydn), are right up there with the better ones.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier