Mint Tractor

I'm sorry, I apologize, please forgive me for doubting all of you who have told me of the need for the Mint Protractor. I got it today, and just did a quick check to find that the cartridge is indeed off set up with the VPI protractor that comes with the Supercout/10.5i. I read the directions and it is a very tedious, and slow going procedure, so I'll get back in a while and tell you if I hear any differences.
128x128stringreen

Speaking of typos. In my previous post, 0.5mm lines are actually 0.25mm lines. The line width comparison doesn't change.
Sirspeedy
Regarding the excellent Graham jigs for the Phantom arm.
I made a few comments about the jigs through out the Feikert Analogue Protractor thread starting at 06-30-08.

Briefly, ever so carefully using the Graham cartridge jig, end results were close but not spot on.
I would have never of known this if I did not use the Mint tractor to check set up against the Graham jig.

With final set up using the Graham jig I found your simply relying on line of sight which result in an error in set up, for me anyway.

Also I believe different cantilever lengths in the Graham jig could also slightly throw off final set up.

I understand there has been a slight up date to the series two Phantom cartridge jig, a target line of sort for a reference guide.

Sirspeedy, even with the series two Phantom jig, the money spent on the Mint tractor for piece of mind would be money well spent....Double checking and getting precise alignment of your cantilever and stylus will have enormous sonic benefits.
SirSpeedy,

I haven't seen/used the Phantom jig but I have used the one supplied with the 2.2.

Besides having no parallax arrangement for sighting accuracy (as noted by Stiltskin) the flip-over piece sat at a different angle depending on the height of the cartridge. This moved the cross-hairs forward or aft, which meant that overhang was only accurate when mounting a cartridge of the same exact height as whatever cartridge Graham designed the jig for.

If the Phantom jig is similar, I'm sure you'd find the Mint worth the investment.
I finally got the MintLP today! But I am a little disappointed, because I find that my initial setup using the VPI Jig agrees (spot-on) with the MintLP in terms of effective length. I only have to adjust the zenith angle very minorly. It took me less than 15 mintues to make sure everything is in place.

I haven't had the chance to 'listen' yet.