Mint Tractor

I'm sorry, I apologize, please forgive me for doubting all of you who have told me of the need for the Mint Protractor. I got it today, and just did a quick check to find that the cartridge is indeed off set up with the VPI protractor that comes with the Supercout/10.5i. I read the directions and it is a very tedious, and slow going procedure, so I'll get back in a while and tell you if I hear any differences.
128x128stringreen
Hi All, i placed an order with Yip as well. I figured might as well jump in both feet in like you guys. However, Yip returns an email asking for spindle diameter. No problem there as i have a micrometer to measure.

He also asks to look at the tonearm spec sheet for: effective lenght and spindle to pivot distance. OK for the effective lenght but the PTSD don't you have to physically measure this with a ruler. I do not think that PTSD would be stated in the owner's manual (spec sheet).
Tonearm is a Phantom II.
Clarification welcomed......
No lifting by the edges, no bending-flexing, remembering to lift the entire protractor straight up.
Bending and flexing aren't possible. It's a sturdy sheet of glass. Lifting straight up? It's such a snug fit on the spindle there's no other choice. Swinging it back and forth while nudging upward/downward near the spindle works best.

CAUTION: Take care to not move the protractor or tonearm when the stylus is down on the plastic sheet. The tip can hold on and that would stess the cantilever and/or damage the sheet.

TIP: If your tonearm has VTA adjustment, remember to raise it to compensate for the thickness. You want to align with the cartridge at a normal playing angle.

This valuable thread (agreeing with Stiltskin) has also proved what we all knew, that a tangential tracking arm has the potential to be superior to any pivoting arm. Even with "perfect" alignment all we've done is managed tracking angle error. We've not eliminated it. Users of top end tangential arms are smiling while sharing knowing winks. ;-)

Further Minty observations:
Paul reports speaker integration for the first time. His favorite chair is way off center so he never listens for imaging. From that position we've always heard two distinct speakers, no center image. After Minting there's some center image integration happening for the first time.

After 2-3 sides my ears told me I could reduce anti-skating. I went from 3 little O-rings on the A/S dogleg to 2 and had the impression I still had a hair too much. Last night I reduced to 1 O-ring and even very dynamic LP's tracked perfectly. Another benefit of the Mint, since reducing A/S always improves cartridge performance. :-)
Hi Doug,

We can most certainly thank Palasr for getting us up off our collective butts to try going arc-style. My relatively imprecise card-stock protractors (compared with Yip's MintLP's) immediately caught my attention, and while not perfect, they result in a far superior setup to anything I've achieved with ANY two point protractor.

It's to this point that I provide every new owner of a Schroeder, Triplanar, and Artisan tonearm one of these card-stock protractors - not as a final solution, but rather to provide sufficient evidence and motivation to point them to MintLP.

The biggest effect this order of magnitude level of alignment improvement has is that it takes you out of audiophile mode and into music appreciation mode.

Along these lines, I'm going to make a prediction about what you'll notice in the coming days - that you'll get less finicky about making VTA changes for individual records. Now, this has always been a dragon you've sought to slay, but my prediction is that it will become quite a bit smaller and will breath quite a bit less fire than before.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Yep, Doug and all, I am certainly glad to be on the same page as you heavy hitters as far as the MintLP is concerned. My modestly-tricked-out Sig. Scout sounds better than I ever dreamed it would, the arc device from Yip making the biggest difference of all. Even budget set ups can sound great with alignment parameters maximized. Thanks to Yip, Mark, (Stiltskin) and all, and Audiogon for making it happen. Got to go and spin some vinyl!

Thanks,
Dan
Dan that's great.
I know you went through a period of doubt with your vinyl play back and came close to giving up on it entirely.

However you kept working away at it, with a bit of encouragement ,it slowly improved.

Then it finally paid off using the Mint.

Palasr, Dan-ed and Tim are the one's who brought the MintLp to our attention and I gratefully thank them...