When Cleaning Records with...

Disc Doctor it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference in surface noise. I am following the prescribed directions. Do you need a record cleaning machine to really improve the quality of a used record ?--Cheers
jmoog08
The problem I have found with the Disc Doctor cleaning fluid is that it takes a few plays before it sounds good. I have rinsed and rinsed and still have found the record to sound a little dull on the first play. I don't use it anymore because of this. Maybe what Rushton says about it taking a few days for it to clear up works but I usually want to play my record shortly after cleaning. It seems like the DD fluid might be best for really dirty records that need scrubbing to remove the gunk? I prefer the sound and quick use of the Record Research Labs products. I think they go by another name now (Mobile Fidelity) but it is the same stuff. It is a two part process if you have dirty records, but most of the time I just use the quick rinse cleaner and the records usually sound great.
Jmoog08 get a small shop vac and use the 4 inch attachment with a good cotton wash cloth around it, cut a small slit in it. Use a lazy susan to spin the LP and hold the vac head on the surface to get the fluid off of the LP. I used this method for quite awhile with fine results.
As far as Disk Doctor fluids i have not encountered any problems with sound using it. In fact of the fluids i have tried Miracle cleaner is my favorite.
I have had very good results with the fluids made by Audio Intelligent. I just use the cheapest Nitty Gritty cleaner, and it does make a tremendous difference in the sound of my records, unless it's just a bad pressing, as unfortunately happens much of the time.
for the VERY best cleaning, steam is the ONLY way to go. Try it you'll like it.
Learsfool, I agree 100% with your approach. Probably because I've been following it myself :-) My first manual Nitty Gritty was in regular service for 20 years. The second one (actually a Record Doctor clone) I bought here on Audiogon for $80 and have used for 4 years. The first one is in the closet, still functional, but I figured it couldn't last forever. And the Audio Intelligent stuff is great. Dave