New Lampizator Level 4/ Version 4 DAC in the house

Wonder if any other new owners of this DAC are out there as I find it to be the finest digital playback I have heard to date. This is the first digital front end piece of gear I have owned that has transformed my music.

Ya, other digital gear does this or that better, but this Lampy breaks through to a new level of musical enjoyment. Clear view into the music helping the speakers just disappear. Only 24 hours of break in and the music flows so sweet, intimate and seemingly without boundaries.

Looking under the hood I see an impressive power supply with films caps and several high quality chokes. Point to point silver wired except for the digital and USB boards. This is a three tube player that is tube rectified. One has the option for SS rectification if desired.

Ya, I love this Lampy!
128x128grannyring
Shootouts are fun but really don't "prove" anything.Bruce's impression may nod toward direct approach and Bill hears improvement with a preamp added to the chain. Ultimately only confirming personal taste, still fun to do however with both listeners present together
Charles, .
To me passive preamps bring a different perspective in sound. They sound leaner in over all presentation. I can understand why people like this because they think they are getting more resolution. I feel I can get more towards the sound of live music with an active preamp. Yes there are active preamps too that can give you a leaner balance, but my experience has a whole is what I'm talking about.
Radiohead99 Great score with the Athena's and the 2 box 7. The Athena were my first choice until i accidentally bought another set of speakers.

I think its a great idea to order a dac with volume. It's a pretty cheap option to try and then if it's not better then you can alway use it just as a dac. My L4 had volume and my Big 7 does not. I have been preferring a separate pre. I have recently used a Shindo and now using a Lampizator L5 pre. After getting the Lampizator pre dialed in with a new set of Mullard tubes I have not found the need to go back to the Shindo. And i love the Shindo. Doesn't make sense that adding a whole other component would make the sound better, but to me it does.
I share the same opinion regarding passive preamp. However, I think the volume control in Lamp dac is active. I sincerely hope it doesn't have the leaner presentation of passive preamp.
Passive preamps sound leaner because you are trying the wrong technology. Resistive attenuation is the WRONG solution. Transformer passive or TVC is the RIGHT solution. No leanness there. It only makes sense technically.

BTW, driving DAC to amps directly is the BOMB! However, doing it balanced and using the Final Drive is significantly better for SQ:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/final-drive

Steve N.
Empirical Audio