Rim Drive Mod or how to make it even better

I was going to just add this post to a previous post regarding the VPI rim drive, but this is important and I want all those who use the new drive to know this. I just spoke to Harry W who told me that if you use sorbothane, or soft felt, etc, under the feet of the motor/flywheel assembly, the sound is even more improved. Don't use it under the turntable itself...only under the motors. I tried it and it REALLY works.
128x128stringreen
Hi Mike,
Yes, the instruction sheet tells you how to cut the wires. You have to do this because you must reverse the direction of the motors. The rim drive needs to run counter-clockwise so that the platter will spin clockwise.
Yes, it does conflict with the ring clamp if you use the cone feet. You can raise the table enough to get clearance, but I think you'll notice that the table is somewhat wobbly after loosening the cones enough to get the clearance you need. Keep in mind that my experience is with a Scoutmaster, not an Aries 3. Your situation may be different.

Cheers.

Tom
Tfkaudio is right...get the feet Mike, it also makes it easier to level the table accurately (a must). You will like the rim drive - do it.
Tom,
I thought the rim drive was an all inclusive, stand alone unit shipped from VPI, I don't understand why you'd have to rewire it.
I feel your pain, I try to keep the cone feet tight on my Aries and level the coffee table everything is on, as soon as you unscrew the feet the TT gets wobbly.
Mike,
Actually, I don't think the rim drive in its current form could be used with the Aries 3. The Aries 3 plinth has a cut-out where the motor is placed. The dual-motor flywheel is a long, rectangular motor that is able to be used with the HRX, TNT-6, or Super Scoutmaster.
I started this upgrade from an original Scoutmaster, which also had a cutout for the smaller 300rpm motor. I had to upgrade the plinth to a Super Scoutmaster plinth, which has no cutout, before I could upgrade the motor.
But, to answer your question, No, the rim-drive is not an all-inclusive upgrade. The upgrade assumes you already have the dual-motor flywheel. The rim drive upgrade package only includes the new flywheel, and some belts and pulleys. This is why you have to re-wire your motor.
In terms of cost, I feel like VPI should have offered the upgrade in completed form, with the motor already tailored to the rim drive. Because I didn't already have the dual-motor flywheel, I essentially had to pay for the old belt flywheel, even though I might never use it.
And yes, you can't unscrew the cone feet very much at all before the table gets wobbly. VPI should have listed the mini-feet as a required prerequisite for the rim drive upgrade, if that's what it will take for me to be able to use the ring clamp again.
Question for those with the mini-feet... How tall are they? The cones are about 1 1/2 inches tall.

Cheers.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I understand now about the upgrade.
The cone feet are 1.750" tall and the mini feet are 1.875" tall, only 1/8" taller.
VPI is supposed to come out with rim drive for Aries this Summer.

Mike