78 RPM - Potential for better sound than digital?

I am interested in expanding my collection of music with a new focus on music from the 30s thru the early 50s. I'm considering 78s and wondering if anybody has been able to get better than digital sound quality out of such old recordings. I have both PC-based digital (Wavelength Audio Brick) and VPI Scout. If it can beat digital on sound quality, I would be willing to buy a preamp with appropriate equalization features (e.g., Graham Slee Jazz) and a dedicated 78 cartridge and take the trouble to find 78s in good condition. Has anybody been able to get great, better than digital sound from old music out of 78s? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks! Mark
mm2550
Well, I may have misunderstood your question. If your asking if a good 78 playback system will sound better than
CDs made of the same material that may be the case. However, there are many variables which make it impossible
to provide a definitive answer. If your asking if quality
78 playback will surpass current digital, in my opinion, no.
I am referring to the same material, the music from the 30's primarily, but 40's and early 50's as well. Love the music, hate the sound quality. I just want to get close to the best that can be obtained on this material, understanding that I will never get audiophile sound.

As a side note, I think modern digital can be very good. However, although I am very happy with my Wavelength Brick, the VPI often beats it, assuming I have a good LP.

On some of this old material, I think the CDs are recorded from 78s, based on the noise that I hear in some of the recordings. So, just going directly to the 78 would be get me closer to the source. But I guess going with 78s would only worthwhile if it can make a substantive improvement over digital.
An advantage of CDs sourced from 78s you can be pretty confident they used a pristine copy. That alone is an advantage. Judicious noise reduction can also be beneficial if they don't throw out the music with the noise. There are simply too many variables for 78 playback
(different speeds, eq, etc.) to make it worthwhile for me.
For what it's worth, there is nothing like the impact and body of a 78, but they are heavy, fragile and a pain. One three minute side, though, is worth 25 of an lp or 75 of a cd in terms of musical truth.
"there is nothing like the impact and body of a 78"

I've heard this from others. I've never had the right playback setup to hear or appreciate these qualities.