Is the KAB Fluid Damper worth it if...

...that is the only mod you purchase for a technics 1210? My setup will consist of a 3" maple platform with brass footers replacing the existing ones. I really don't think I could do the rewire myself, and I don't really want to send my turntable into KAB. With just the purchase of the damper would this rig be able to get the most out of higher end cartridges?--Cheers
jmoog08
06-28-08: Cytocycle
The Technics M5G has pretty good OFC copper wire leads.... so this update doesn't make as big of a difference as all the other Technics tables which don't have the upgraded wiring.
You're right--the tonearm wire in the SL1210 M5G is pretty good and I haven't had any urge to change it. The tonearm leads in their headshell is another story, however. I just got a set of the silk-wrapped litz ofc cart leads; I'll install 'em in my Technics headshell and see if I notice a difference.

Do you have a link to the lighter AT headshells? The lightest I've seen is their magnesium one at www.audiocubes2.com, and it weighs 11g, which is 3.5g more than the std. Technics.
Vinylvin
3/4 " Thick ? Or 3/4 " Diameter ? I tried out some washers, but basic thickness like a Quarter and about the diameter of a Quarter and they did Help a little in stabilizing the cones, however still can tilt pretty easily, just has more resistance to doing so fighting against the accordian style boot fitting with the threaded insert… I am guessing it might be that the M5G has a different mounting cup under it than some of the older or other style 1200 series? I don't doubt it as this footer system on the M5g does seem a bit more advanced than what would have been around on 1200 tables in the 80's or 90's etc… So maybe that is a difference here in getting the cones to stand solid.         
3/4 " Diameter, they fit perfect right over
the holes. They cost 60 cents each. I tried
the little quarter ones also, they did nothing
just like you said.

I can't believe how bad the original feet are,
you don't notice until you take them off.
3/4 " must be the hole size, I thought that was
small, the washer diameter is 2 1/4 ". They are
maybe 1/8 " thick.
"That must barely fit within the molded edge"

It fits over not in, I thought I got one the fit
inside the hole but these fit over & worked perfect.
It's more like 1/16" thick. It looks nice also. Just
pick out ones that are the same, they don't all have
the same edge. It sounds so much better with the cones.