Tube Rolling In Audio Research Phono Preamp

I have an Audio Research PH3SE phono preamp that currently has three Sovtek 6922's. Audio Research told me not to bother doing any tube rolling because it will change the "voice" and tone of the preamp. However, I keep reading wonderful things about vintage tubes improving the quality of sound in all kinds of gear. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with different tubes in their phono preamp and which ones they liked the most. Thanks!
dubhouse
Funny I just posted this to another AudiogoNer: The Siemens E188CC's, 7308's and CCa's(grey plate beneath the getter support, from the 60's- the Holy Grail) are VERY dynamic and extended top(without any stridency) and bottom(very solid). I've been using them for years in ARC gear(had an SP9 and SP14), and now in my BAT VK-D5(6 NOS CCa's). Liquid midrange, very transparent(very quiet, nothing phoney, sweet, or extra warm, etc.) They just let all the music through, with an accurate sound stage. YES: The Tele's are good(of course), I've owned some of them too. Don't buy any CCa's with shiny metal under the getter support(regardless of the seller's claims): They will singe your ear hairs.
Pleeeease!Audio Research told me the same thing,but tube rolling was very well rewarded.There are some superb NOS tubes to still be had,but be careful about quality and price.I have had varying,but good results with Mullard 6922,Amperex 7308(best based on price),Amperex 6922 PQ(very pricey,but very good),Telefunken(over rated especially re:price),and the fabulous Siemens 6922 CCa(my current winner).The Ediswan 6922/2492,and Ediswan 6dj8/5358 are also fabulous,and I have these as well.
BTW,do a web-search for "Joe's Tube Lore".It is quite accurate,and informative.
Best.
I concur with Chris. I have a PH3SE modified by GNSC and have used Funken's and Siemens to wonderful sonic results. Now, the PH3 is packaged and put away as i have aquired a REF Phono that has been considerably modified by GNSC. V-CAPS tefelon and Caddock resistors throughout. Elna filter caps etc...ect....

I use Amperex 7308 PQ white label, RCA Blackplate 6L6GC and Phillip Miniwatts metal base 5AR4 in the power supply.
Svotek 6922 are probably the worst sounding signal tubes ever made. Anything else will beat those sonically.
ARC, like many manufacturers, care most about tube reliability and meeting their idea of what things should sound like. Of course different tubes will change the voice and tone - that's exactly what you're trying to achieve, a change to something more to your liking.
I currently have a PH-3SE an am using 6h-23 Russian tubes from the cable co. They're very quiet and are comparable to Amperex 7308's which I replaced them with. Sovteks are junk, the only reason AR is telling you that is because that's the tube they use to sell the PH-3's with which they don't even sell anymore. They went to electro harmonix as their stock tube.
Plese don't buy the siemens and telefunkens you see advertised here on Agon. They're very good and deliver exceptional sound but are not worth the astonomical price folks are asking. If people would stop buying these, the price would come down to what they're really worth which is considerably less!