Built-in phono stages

Lots of high-end preamps include built-in phono stages. Any opinions on whether the pros (well reviewed, fewer boxes / cables) outweigh the cons (flexibility)?

I'm thinking, in particular, of the phono stages in the preamps from Ayre, Boulder and Halcro.
kthomas
My Mac preamp has a built in MM section. It works for me, though I have not tried anything else for awhile. But I am looking to see what else would be better. Everything I have read is that the mac phono sections are pretty decent.
I have the Halcro DM10 which has the built-in phonostage for both MM and MC cartridges with 3 stages of gain for the MCs so LOMCs are no problem (I'm currently running ZYX Universe and Dynavector DV1s).
The beauty is no interconnects and additional boxes as you state (my friend has the full Aesthetix Io Signature which takes up serious shelf space).
The phono stage in the Halcro is as good as the linestage and the DM58 monoblocks themselves.
Lack of flexibility?.....nothing prevents you from adding an additional phono-stage to plug into a line input any time you wish?
The phonostage in the Ayre is very good. Same board as used in the P-5XE. The best I have heard in a preamp. The K-1XE is also the one of best SS preamps I have heard.
I also got a chance to hear the new Mcintosh C2300 preamp and was suprised at how good the MC stage was in it.