Got a New CD Player and Now I'm Bummed

Hope to get some help here...I recently added an Esoteric X-03SE to my system the details of which you can see here. I've always been a huge fan of vinyl and have a large collection--many more LP's than CD's. The problem is my digital front end is now WAY better sounding than my analogue set up. (My last CD player, a Naim CDX2, was about on par with my table--better in some areas, not as good in others). I'm finding myself listening to many more CD's while my LP's are dying for attention. I never thought this would happen to me! So, now I'm faced with upgrading my analogue to the point of parity (or better?) with my digital. (Wierd, right?). I could use some suggestions. One limiting factor is the overall height of the new analogue set up cannot be much taller than what I have since it needs to sit on a wall mount shelf that fits inside our entertainment center. So, I need a table/arm/cartridge set up that sounds DRAMATICALLY better than my Scout/JMW9/Dyna 20XM but doesn't need a ton of head room. What do you think I need to spend to get significantly better performance than what I have already? What would you all suggest for a new analogue front end? I'm thinking a Scoutmaster, Sota Cosmos or perhaps going back to an LP 12 with works. Ideas? Thanks!
dodgealum
Agree with LewM. I just have the feeling that you're created a resonance
chamber by enclosing the tt that way. Dave
Dodgealum, I think a big part of your dissatisfaction is that analog is just so in vogue . . . think Hansel in Zoolander . . . "he's just so hot right now!"

Many on Audiogon currently mirror the audio press, and I find it interesting that if somebody prefers the sound from their CD player, then the turntable is surely broken . . . and no shortage of opinions on how to fix it. Yet when the opposite is true, the response is frequently some variation on "YEAH!!!!! ANALOG ROCKS!!!!"

I actually got the impression from your post that your turntable actually sounds quite good . . . it's just that now your CDs sound REALLY good. There's nothing wrong with that . . . why not just sit back and enjoy your system for awhile? It's quite possible to have a system where the digital side is better than the analog, and still really enjoy both.

And you'll probably make better decisions about your turntable rig when you're in that initial frustrated, dissatisfied mindset . . . which is one I can very much empathize with.
Also, before abandoning the Scout, considering trying a carpet thread in place of the stock rubber band. The thread should be able to get grip on the pulley, assuming that you have the 300 RPM motor. I think you'll find that bass gets tighter, treble gets both smoother & more resolving, and the presentation generally becomes more focused, continuous & less sluggish. There are suspension mods that could further improve performance, but it looks like you don't have much room in the cabinet for additional layers. I assume the arm/cartridge has been carefully set up, but personally I would be challenged to get geometry spot on with the TT elevated & enclosed.
Same here. My digital rig indeed outdid my last vinyl setup. The most important areas where it fell short were: image/soundstage and dynamics. When I added it all up the reality was I didn't have the free money laying around to buy the gear I needed to get an analog rig where I wanted it. As a result I listened to vinyl less and less. I still believe a good analog rig will outdo digital. BUT because there are now and have been few new releases on vinyl in the last 15 years or so I decided to let it go.......... for now. Maybe again someday. I do miss it.

ET
Moreover, I have a bad feeling about enclosing the tt on five sides (top, bottom, right, left, and rear); the tt radiates noise and vibrations into the air around it and the enclosing surfaces may also be resonating due to that effect. Better to mount the Target shelf directly onto studs in your wall, out in the open. But don't forget about the motor controller idea either.

It's not really the sound emitted from the turntable that is important but the sound coming from you speakers that will resonate inside the cabinet. Enclosing a turntable on several sides, or placing it in a corner is always a problem. Just play a constant sin tone in the range 40-100Hz and listen in the corner vs. open space. The sound volume is usually quite a bit increased close to walls or corners.

Also, I agree mounting the target shelf to the cabinet seems to defeat the purpose of the wall mount. It would be much better to mount the shelf to a wall as Lewm suggested.