Got a New CD Player and Now I'm Bummed

Hope to get some help here...I recently added an Esoteric X-03SE to my system the details of which you can see here. I've always been a huge fan of vinyl and have a large collection--many more LP's than CD's. The problem is my digital front end is now WAY better sounding than my analogue set up. (My last CD player, a Naim CDX2, was about on par with my table--better in some areas, not as good in others). I'm finding myself listening to many more CD's while my LP's are dying for attention. I never thought this would happen to me! So, now I'm faced with upgrading my analogue to the point of parity (or better?) with my digital. (Wierd, right?). I could use some suggestions. One limiting factor is the overall height of the new analogue set up cannot be much taller than what I have since it needs to sit on a wall mount shelf that fits inside our entertainment center. So, I need a table/arm/cartridge set up that sounds DRAMATICALLY better than my Scout/JMW9/Dyna 20XM but doesn't need a ton of head room. What do you think I need to spend to get significantly better performance than what I have already? What would you all suggest for a new analogue front end? I'm thinking a Scoutmaster, Sota Cosmos or perhaps going back to an LP 12 with works. Ideas? Thanks!
dodgealum
I agree with Cytocycle concerning a preamp/phono stage upgrade. I recently had to have repairs done to my VAC preamp and I auditioned an SP16 (didn't like it) and a Manley (no phono) which was far superior to the SP16. I purchased the Manley to use while the VAC was away. My backup phono stage is a Phomonena which I used with the Manley. I don't have an audiophile approved turntable but it works and sounds just fine for me. When the VAC was away for repair they performed a mod to the phono stage that is remarkable to say the least. Prior to repair, for the most part, the cd system sounded better. Now the LP playback kicks out some serious dynamic and detailed music that beats the cd system.
In the least, if you are married to the SP16, try a quality outboard phono stage. Your turntable is superior to what I'm using and I think you would be astounded by what a real good phono stage would do.
I'm probably going to get spanked for this but I'm going to offer an opinion. I've found that systems with mid-efficiency multi-way, crossovered speakers, digital and analog generally sound closer than they do on systems I prefer - low-power SET and single-driver horns or front horns.

I recently tried to go all digital. On my system, with a Shindo pre, Yamamoto or Art Audio amp and Lamhorns, no digital comes very close to analog. Digital can sound good, but the level of nuance, realism, and envelopment is in another league with vinyl. It's nothing subtle

Is it more revealing, or just different - somehow tailored to vinyl?
I agree with DGarretson and Dopogue (both friends of mine), move the tt out of that cabinet and onto a solid non-resonant support that does not enclose the tt, AND get yourself a motor controller, SDS or Walker. After that, if you're not happy, then I would look at changing the premplifier. Perhaps your dealer will let you borrow an alternative product to try. But that cabinet is a definite liability for vinyl reproduction, sorry to say.
I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I agree that an upgrade of the preamp and/or cartridge are logical steps but wonder whether either will provide the jump in performance necessary to meet what I am getting from the Esoteric.

On another note, I'd like someone to please explain why my turntable set up is limiting the performance of my Scout. In my 25 years with at least 6 or 7 different tables and as many support stands (Target rack, Arcici Lead Balloon, platform hanging from ceiling, ETC) this set up is clearly the best in terms of isolating the table from airborne and table induced vibrations as well as foot falls. Please read my description above, look at the photo (ask a question or two if you like) and offer a rationale for why this doesn't work as well as I think it does. To just say "it's too high" or it is a "definite liability" or "not ideal" isn't much help or very persuasive.
I'll take a shot at it. From the one photo, it appears that the tt sits on a Target wall shelf which is in turn bolted to the back wall of that tall cabinet, in which also sits your TV and other gear. Thus, vibrations emanating from the tt are coupled to that wall which will be set into motion and resonate at a certain frequency. Further, vibrations from your other gear may be coupled back into the tt via the wall/wall shelf interface. Moreover, I have a bad feeling about enclosing the tt on five sides (top, bottom, right, left, and rear); the tt radiates noise and vibrations into the air around it and the enclosing surfaces may also be resonating due to that effect. Better to mount the Target shelf directly onto studs in your wall, out in the open. But don't forget about the motor controller idea either.