Graham Phantom vs Triplaner

Wondering about the sonic traits of both these arms compared to each other.

- which one has deeper bass,
- which one has the warmer (relative) balance
- which one is compatible with more cartridges
- which one has the better more organic midrange
- which one has the greater treble detail.
- which one plays music better ( yes this is a more subjective question ).
- which one goes better with say the TW acoustic raven TT.
downunder
Dear Dowunder: +++++ " What is the difference between VPI or Graham type arm and using different headshell weights compared to using same arm with different headshells?? " +++++

I think that you can't get yet the critical subject here. If you can't understand with what I already posted it will be useless going a head about.

Now, you could try at home investing a little money. Buy a Lustre GST-801 or Acos tonearm ( or other similar ) for 500.00-600.00 and 3-4 different headshells ( different weight, material build, shape, etc, )for 120.00 dls. Mount this tonearm in either of your TT(s) and make tests against your VPI tonearm.
With this kind of exercise you could understand about and more important you could achieve a better cartridge performance ( with any of the ones you own. ) that what you already have.
Just try it, don't waist your money and time. If after trying it you are not satisfied ( that I seriously doubt. ) you always can go to the other way.

Downunder, this is whatan Agoner email me:

+++++ " High end is who you are, not what you buy or what you have. " +++++

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
All

Just an update on my table. The Phantom / Triplaner may have to wait a while, as there is still life left in the VPI HRX.

SirSpeedy, I have taken your advise and spoken to HW and he very kindly offered to swap the 12.6 arm wand with the new 12.7 arm wand ( copper wiring not valhalla) with damped bearing at a very resonable price.

Well I got the 12.7 arm wand and have put it back on the table with the undamped bearing. Just after a few hours it sounds more balanced than the 12.6 arm and does not seem to have the leaness in the upper mids/lower treble. Transparency and detail seem to be in tact. I'll fit the damped bearing this weekend so I can play around more.

Kudos to VPI for their great customer service & focus.

Me I'll probably end up trying the Rim drive which HW says is really excellent.

cheers
Downunder,so glad you are happy!!...Funny you mention your VPI experience,as I was at my friend Sid last week.He has the 12.5 arm,or is it 12.6?He is awaiting both the new 12.7 arm and the rim drive.I must state that he is a huge fan of VPI products,and knows HW quite well.
He had the FABULOUS Air Tangent previously,but I felt the VPI was a downgrade,from that CLASSIC!!!!....So did other fellow hobbyists in our circle......BUT.....Sid is very "chummy" with Richard Foster(of HiFi Plus).They are best friends,and when Richard visited Sid,recently he "kind of" performed a "magic act" on the VPI arm!!!NO tick tock rocking at all.Something I used to notice.....Nobody local(in the tri state NY,NJ,Conn area)could get rid of the slight sibilance that was NOT present with the Air Tangent!....Richard must be REALLY good in voicing the arm(he has the 12.7,now,and loves it).
My ears tell me this IS SO!!!I must admit that as of my last hearing the 12.5 or.6 at Sid,last week,the sound is VASTLY better than I have heard with this arm,in the past.
Next time I go,there will be the 12.7/Titan-i,and the rim drive.Also,the second best LP collection on the planet.The top spot goes to Richard!-:)
What's not to like?
Best.....enjoy your "music".
thanks Sirspeedy - After all its the music we all live for and to play. HW is one of audio's nicest guys.

The 12.5 arm has the damped bearing, 12.6 has undamped bearing, 12.7 back to damped bearing with motor honey instead of silicone.

I am actually packing up my 2nd 12.6 arm wand to send back to HW tonight.
Me I am not game to go the 12.7 with valhalla cable - not because i don't think it won't sound great, just for my tastes I believe I will prefer the slighty warmer copper cable to make my pop, rock and alternative records sound a little nicer.

Let me know how Sid goes with the Rim drive. HW said that Roy gregory went banana's over it and Fremer will have his chance to listen to it very soon - he just needs to choose what table he wants it with.

Hope you are enjoying your phantom
Once again, the difference can only be
realized on the best of stable audio
refference systems. Tri-Planar and
Graham are the final word in tonearms.
Make your choice based on audible
sound and "the comfort zone".