Graham Phantom damping fluid level.

Bob Graham says to use enough fluid to bring the level up to the top of the square profile machined on the bearing cap. The square is only about 1/4" in length. My question is, What level works best for you in relationship to this "square" profile?

I have tried only 3 different levels of fluid in my setup (maximum level to top of square, almost no fluid at all, & to the bottom of the square) but can't seem to obtain optimum results so I'm wondering what others use, although I guess it's really cartridge dependent. Is the fluid level super sensitive? FWIW I'm using a Koetsu RSP.
frank_sm
I have Urushi with Phantom. The dip level varies and changes the sound. How deep you want to dip all depends on your musical taste. I just dip in 2mm. You don't want to over-damp your tonearm,by same token, you don't want to under-damp it.
Frank,it is going to be cartridge dependent,AND requiring careful listening at different fluid settings.No getting around it!
Yes... start with minimum amount(at bottom of squared off area)is the way to go,but you must add VERY small amounts at a time.Then replay your reference LP's and listen for detail retrieval,bass impact(not soggy,or too much fluid),and high freq extension.
When I say add small amounts at a time,I mean REALLY tiny amounts.Here the Phantom does not need to have actual "pinhead" amounts added slowly(like the 2.2),but you MUST go slow,and with small enough additions to not even see much more fluid height,on the bearing square portion.
Good luck.

BTW,I'l be doing the EXACT same thing this week,as my own Phantom has just come in to my dealer.I used to have a Graham 2.2.Another fine performer,yet more sensitive to fluid than the Phantom.
Sam, Are you saying you have a fluid level 2mm high on the square? I am looking to extract the tightest bass possible from the Koetsu RSP.
Sirspeedy, I hope to hear your thoughts when you have yours setup, fluid level and all.
You know there is an updated bearing/cap for the Phantom . Also every time you remove the bearing cap and play with the damping fluid levels , the tone arm needs time to resettle . Does anybody know how long?